Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flu outbreak?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    Odd to be someone so young and seemingly healthy.
    Not being critical Bob, but that's an odd statement coming from a Weggie!!!! LOL!...all things considered of course! Hehe!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    I didn't get the shot, I'm afraid to actually....can't wait till this all passes and life is " normal " again.HA HA
    You are toooooo funny Deb. Actually, no need to fear a flu shot with the dead virus...that's usually the one by injection, no nasal-that's a live virus. And how long are you willing to wait for this to pass and normality to return?! LOL! You MUST be a patient person!! Just kidding...need more coffee!!!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don, I know I should get that the shot but I'm afraid I'll get the effects of the flu anyway..it is known to happen ! I see" the man " at the Cleveland Clinic monday,I'll see what he says. I wonder how many of us on here have gotten the shot and if they had any effects. That might help me to decide, by then the vaccine will have run out !! And about be being normal ...I know that's not gonna happen..I wasn't even before I got this crud !!!! Take care
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debra,

When I was at CC in October, they gave me my flu shot right then. I've had no ill effects.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

El Paso has a large outbreak just like most other cities. I received my flu shot during my by-monthly visit to my doc in december. So far everything is fine. I'm staying away from crowds, especially small children/babys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Just found this on news post:
    Also on Friday, CDC officials said a recent study of more than 1,100 people has concluded the current flu vaccine is 62 percent effective.

The flu vaccine is reformulated each year, and officials say this year's version is a good match to the viruses going around..
    Put those two facts together. Current vaccine is (at best, and in otherwise healthy adults) 62% effective. And this is when the vaccine is a good match to the flu strains people are getting.

Those are terrible odds. And worse: the flu shot contains mercury, multiple antibiotics, formaldehyde, MSG and a pile of other chemicals.

In immune-compromised people the flu shot is (at best) 30% effective. So 30% "protection" but you get filled with harmful chemicals, some of which are known carcinogens and others are known to dysregulate the immune system?

We DO know that vitamin D has been proven to be both preventive for flu and to decrease the severity if you get it. Get your blood levels checked and make sure you're taking enough to stay well in range. Since most people are deficient and it can take awhile to ramp up to normal levels, it's best to get it checked in early fall each year. People who are on prednisone, and/or have an AI disease and/or work indoors are likely to be quite deficient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All my doctors encouraged me to get the flu shot even though they agreed i was less likely to benefit from it because of my age, diabetes, and Wegs but they said any chance of it helping me was worth the risk of any reaction especially since I have always had the shots without having any problems. He said my risk of dying from the flu was much higher than my risk of having any problems from the injection. Made sense to me so i follow their advice.

I some times wonder about if it does any good to get these shots and do all these recommended preventions like monthly pentamidine nebulizer treatments. But my doctor told me when I asked about quitting them that if I got PCP no bookmaker would give me any odds of surviving it with my health history so I gladly go in and do them.

A few months after I got a pneumonia shot a few years ago I came down with pneumonia and made the comment that the shot must not have helped much. The doctor said on the contrary. He said if I had got the type of pneumonia I had been vaccinated for I would most likely be in a hospital, probably the ICU unit. My pneumonia case was a milder form and could be treated as outpatient and maybe the shot had helped make that possible.

Our state has had 27 deaths reported so far from the flu outbreak, one a 14 year old girl that was big news. I am staying in a lot more to try avoid getting it. I did go get an assessment at our Walk In clinic and learned I have bronchitis from a cold but not the flu so far. I got an antibiotic and feeling better already. Feeling tired and coughing from the cold and bronchitis also makes it easy to want to stay home and sleep more too.

I did have my vitamin d levels check to be sure I wasn't over doing my supplements since I read too much Vitamin D can be dangerous. Mine were in safe range so I still take 1000-2000 daily like my doctor recommend. I take it more to try help my calcium absorption and to try prevent bones and teeth from become more brittle from bone loss. i don't know if it helps since annual tests continue to show bone loss but the doctors say it would be worse without taking the extra calcium and Vit D.

Hope everyone stays healthy. They say it is not to late to get a flu shot although the vaccines are scarce in some places.
    Last edited by drz; 01-14-2013 at 04:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya gotta love the reasoning medical doctors use to justify the poor efficacy of vaccines. "Yes, you still got sick but it was milder than it would have been." Really? Got any hard evidence of that?

When someone gets a chiropractic adjustment at the beginning of a cold or flu, it's quite likely that the infection will clear right away or at least be much milder. We see this every single day in practice. When MDs hear of this (even when they see it with their own eyes) they say, "It's a coincidence. Anecdotal. Show me hard evidence." Please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Ya gotta love the reasoning medical doctors use to justify the poor efficacy of vaccines. "Yes, you still got sick but it was milder than it would have been." Really? Got any hard evidence of that?

When someone gets a chiropractic adjustment at the beginning of a cold or flu, it's quite likely that the infection will clear right away or at least be much milder. We see this every single day in practice. When MDs hear of this (even when they see it with their own eyes) they say, "It's a coincidence. Anecdotal. Show me hard evidence." Please.
    Like the flu there is apparently more than one type of pneumonia or strain of virus causing it. I was vaccinated for one strain which was considered a more severe strain but caught a milder strain of pneumonia. Maybe the vaccination protected me from the more serious strain or maybe it was just a lucky break. The beauty of science is that good research will usually provide the hard evidence to either support or disprove any claims of efficacy of any medical treatment or health care practice. Unfortunately too many people ignore the scientific evidence or lack the skill to evaluate what is good research with valid findings. There is also a lot of biased or bogus research done by certain organizations trying to prove some pet theory or philosophy which can often confuse the facts or mislead people.

Lucky for us the Weg centers of excellence are actively involved in research on treating our disease and keep abreast of what latest research seems to suggest. We just need a lot more good research that yields valid findings. Some times even when the findings seem clear it is difficult to get new methods adopted because of economic or political reasons or resistance to change from entrenched power groups so much money get wasted on treatments or techniques that are known to be of little or dubious value.

Keep the faith and encourage evidence based techniques to find some answers that really work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    Not being critical Bob, but that's an odd statement coming from a Weggie!!!! LOL!...all things considered of course! Hehe!
    ROFL That's true
    ~ Bob

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast