Thread: Liver and WG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Liver and WG

Hi guys
    How are you all? Sorry I haven't posted for ages!
    I have been in reasonable health until recently, where i've been getting nausea, flu like symptoms (that come and go), loss of appetite etc.
    I rang my Rheum doctor this week to ask if I could have my bloods done, and it shows my ESR and CRP is up, and my liver function has deteriorated.
    I didn't know WG could affect the liver, can it??!
    I'm seeing my doctor later on today.
    thanks for any info/input!
    x
    Wegeners Granulomatosis diagnosed May 1995. Tracheal Stenosis since 2000.

Proud mum of 3 beautiful girls, post cyclophosphamide (so it really can happen!) xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Liver

My liver function is not right due to the medication I am on. I have the
    option to inject the Methotrexate instead. Bit of a coward with injections so will see how it goes.

Derek

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard that Wegs affects the liver directly, but certainly all the drugs take a toll on the liver. Any drug does, actually. Drugs--even those we "need"-- are considered toxins by the body.

The liver is so good at expelling toxins. It's often said, "The liver is the pharmaceutical company's greatest enemy." They have to make drugs that trick the liver into ignoring a drug so it can stay in circulation and work. That's why many drugs lose their effectiveness over time-- the liver figures them out. Drug companies wind up adding on all kinds of extra molecules to a drug, so the liver has to work harder at disabling it.

Kind of like those dog toys that you can fill with treats.

Anyway, the liver winds up overworking and being clogged/irritated/stressed by drugs. That can raise the liver enzymes. We need what we need, but it's best to take as few as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My liver function test showed deterioration a couple of times, then it goes back to normal. As Sangye says it is good little filter and once in a while, especially given our toxic drugs, it clogs up. Unless your tests continue to go consistently bad I wouldn't worry. I'm sure your rheumy keeps an eye, or just remind him to let you know what is he going to do about keeping your liver happy.
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

Until I understood the liver functions as a filter, I used to think calf liver and onions was a fine treat. If you look up your medications on the internet, you'll understand why your doctor monitors your liver function or should be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

...and why docs recommend weggies DON'T eat offal (liver, kidney etc)
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Doug Guest

Yeah, especially in this country where meat comes from animals that have been feed God only knows what until the press and regulatory agencies responsible ban the practice. I try to limit my meat intake simply because a little bit goes a long way with me. (Here I sit in the middle of one of America's major beef raising areas typing such statements! I would feel guilty if I didn't feel better for limiting meat consumption.) As for offal, um, yeah.... Most of my ancestors came from Scotland, but no haggis for me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all this talk of food is making me hungry. Haggis, a bit of blood might do me good.
    After nearly 2 months I did my blood tests todayand am waiting for results. It's always such a looooong wait.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Liver issue

I got a call from my doc on thuesday that my liver count was high and has been for some time and ordered a Cat Scan. I go June 19!

Yes, I was told by my first WG MD that WG can affect all major organs. He has studied WG for over 14 years as a special interest. I was lucky to have him when I was Dx.
    Judi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Judi, welcome, I hope its just a flare and nothing more.
    Jolanta

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast