Thread: Anyone been to China?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone been to China?

Hey gang,

I've just gotten this amazing opportunity to go to China and just found out I have to get vaccinated for Typhoid and Hep A. I can't do a live vaccine obviously. But for those of you who know me, know that I got Wegener's because of the H1N1 vaccine, and then my one and only flare because of a flu shot (as advised by the docs) which happened to have the H1N1 vaccine in it, so I have a huge apprehension with vaccines. I'm just wondering if any of you have any words of wisdom on this as this is one seriously worldly bunch.

Thanks for sharing and helping.

marta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have access to a "disease doctor" that specializes in prevention of disease while traveling to other parts of world where there is an increased risk of certain diseases? I used one before trips to areas where i was more at risk. They also know what vaccinations are required or suggested for travel in certain areas. Maybe they could advise you and help you meet any legal requirements for travel to areas you are planning. I know I found them very helpful before any trips where there was some increased risk of disease or required vaccinations.
    Last edited by drz; 12-14-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of my friends were just over in China and I'm pretty sure they didn't have to get any vaccines b4 they left. I'd look into this further Marta.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say you should check with a doctor, but of course they'll say to get the vaccination. I think I'd be reluctant to go to a country with vaccinations suggested without said vaccines on board though. The last thing you need is to get Typhoid or Hepatitis.

Just to let you know as former military...that Typhoid shot is a painful one. Well not the shot itself, but the way your body reacts to it. Make sure if you get it you excercise the arm heavily...that's the best help...they had us doing pushups when I got it.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

drz, I don't have a doctor that specializes in travel but I went to the Health Clinic, under the advise of my rheumy, and you just tell them where you're going, how long you're staying and they have a computer program that tells them what you have to vaccinate if anything. They have a live option of a neutralized option for the two that I have to have. I've sent the info to Dr. Rheumy to see if she has any concerns - awaiting reply.

Bob, thanks for the tip, it might force me to do the first push ups in a long long long long time. I see that it's intramuscular, so yes good tip - gracias amigo. I'm a geek, I have the vaccine insert with me.

Thanks again, I'll send you pictures from China... weeeeeeeee.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it crucial that you have to go to China?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend of mine is traveling to India and Nepal soon and just yesterday asked me for advice about vaccines for tetanus, typhoid and hep A.

My advice? Get the tetanus if you're going to a remote area, since it might be hard to track it down if you need it.

Typhoid
    I had a severe reaction to that shot when I got it for the Peace Corps. My neck and shoulders went into tetany, which is the maximum a muscle can tighten. I was told it was a "common" reaction. It was excruciating. The typhoid oral vaccine is live, the shot is killed. If you do get typhoid, it can be treated with antibiotics. The typhoid vaccine is 50-80% effective in preventing typhoid. (Remember that all vaccines are much less effective in an immune-compromised person)

Hepatitis A
    The shot comes in 2 forms: live or killed. Supposedly 95% effective in preventing infection.

Both typhoid and hep A are transmitted through poor sanitation. I think if you're not able to avoid questionable food/water, then you are going to be in significant danger of contracting other diseases, too. But if you're able to control those things you can have a fun and healthy trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Sangye,

As always brilliant. I'm going to be in shi shi hotels because we're going on a 'trade mission' with a pretty big party so I think we wont be 'roughing' it, so I'll avoid the tetanus. I would avoid all if it was up to me, but I think I have to be safe. Getting either Tetanus or Hep A would not fare well in my already depleted body. I plan on having a fun and very healthy trip. That's the plan anyway.

I wonder if you and Bob got zinged with the older version of the Typhoid vaccine - the whole cell one. Apparently they've stopped using it in the more developed countries but not in countries that don't have access to the new one. The reason they stopped using the 'whole cell' typhoid vaccine is because of too many reports of negative side effects in or around the injections site. I'll let you know once I get it this week. I sent the info to my super doc and she hasn't responded yet (I told her to respond only if she sees any red flags - ha ha, get it?)

On a completely different note, and I know I should probably start a new thread on this because I think it's such a huge deal, but I'll economize on threads, since my new mission in life is to find the common thread to all autoimmune disease and thus we can all be healthy one day, but here's something that might lead to something. It makes so much sense to me this article it gave me goosebumps when I read it, just like the article on the 'common thread' (it gave me goosebumps too because I saw how that is the answer to us Weggies finding a cure within our lifetime). Here's some food for thought: The human microbiome: Me, myself, us | The Economist , and if you're curious about the 'common thread' article I mentioned here is that: :: American Autoimmune Related Diseases Association, Inc ::

Thanks again beautiful people (that's what my momma calls my family and that's how I feel about you.)

m

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm thinking you are going to have a great time Marta. I've been to China twice in the last few years. I was told no vaccinations are necessary. Hep A was recommended. I got one shot of the Hep A and had a weird reaction to it so I didn't get the second shot.
    Wegs flared up while I was in western China and attacked my cerebellum . I came back in wheel chair. This will not happen to you.
    I like Sangye's suggestion about the tetanus although it does sound like you won't need it.

I don't know if you have sinus problems. If you do then you need to take special care for this trip. The plane ride is very long and the air in airplanes is extremely dry. I didn't know this and didn't even realize it during the trip until I got to Hong Kong and spent the next day in bed in agony. I mean agony. My sinuses had dried out and become extremely painful.
    It wiped me out.
    Ironically I had the cure with me the whole time and didn't know enough to use it. On the return trip I pumped my sinuses full of saline gel. A sinus spritzer would also work. Anything to keep them moist.
    I also used this trick on my next trip and had zero problem.
    Can't wait to hear stories from your trip. China is a very interesting place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kind of hijacking here, but marta you said that H1N1 vaccine caused your wegeners?

Can you explain this to me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast