Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off & On Fatigue (Anemia) Question:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know when I was on high dosages of pred it really messed up my blood sugar but seemed to wear off about midnight and then my blood glucose would often drop 300 plus points. I figure it might still be messing me up some even though I am at a minimal dosage. Some nights I wake up and can't sleep but I often seem able to nap pretty good during the days, some times several times, but I know I have lots of fatigue issues from most activity due to lung and kidney damage, fluctuating blood glucose levels due to diabetes. Earlier I also had anemia from Wegs which also contributed to my fatigue. I think fatigue is also part and parcel of Wegs damage to our bodies for many of us unless you were lucky enough to have a real limited case and very quick rebound. Lot of things take a lot more effort now for me like walking since my balance is really poor, listening takes a lot more concentration due to loss of hearing and confusion from pred brain too. I think stress is also likely to be increased for most of us due to anxiety or fear of having a flare even when we are or have been in a stable remission for a long time. And we all know stress increases fatigue as does depression which also often occurs with any chronic illness like Wegs or diabetes and others.

On days when I forgot to take the pred in the morning I don't recall noticing any big difference in how I felt during the day but I always took it later on in day when I realized I had forgotten to take it in the morning. But maybe it did result in more fatigue the next day so that is something I will check for in the future when it happens again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm guessing that some of the fatigue is due to the damage from Wegs, if we have had lesions in the lungs that destroyed some of our lung tissue and breathing function, if we are getting less oxygen to the bloodstream due to nasal congestion and damaged blood vessels, etc., as well as the stress of dealing with joint pain, the drugs' side effects, and trying to manage our lives with new limitations. Wegs is a tiring disease, and some of us get off easier than others!

drz, it seems to me that if you forgot your pred one morning and then took it later in the day, and then took it again at the normal time the next morning, that you would be all caught up on your dosage and would not have more fatigue. But if you forgot it altogether one day and then took it the next morning, you'd notice more fatigue and might want to add at least half of your missed dose. Just a guess. I know some people alternate days with say 10mg one day and 15mg the next which would average out to 12.5mg per day.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take my pred at lunchtime because this is the time that is more consistent to me. Wake up times in the morning vary somewhat from weekdays being 6.00am to sleep-ins on weekends being 10.00 or 11.00am

Last Tuesday I woke at 2.00am with a bout of food poisoning. I know it was bad chicken because the entire family suffered all day and night.
    I didn't take any medication on this day, purely because even with a little sip of water, it came straight back up again......sorry
    Therefore my thoughts were, taking the pills will just be a waste of time.......this meant by Wednesday I hadn't taken anything since Monday dinner time.
    My body ached all over. This could have been from being ill but I believe it was from not taking the pred because about an hour after I took it, the aches started to subside......however, there was no extra fatigue as a result of not taking them.

From what I understand about pred, is that you can cause serious adrenal problems if you forget to take it for a number of days not just after one day of forgetting........which would cause the high end fatigue.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ugh, that bout of food poisoning for you and your family sounds awful, Michelle! I'm glad it is over with.

Seems like pred has been discussed up and down and in and out, at great length, on this forum, but it is still always timely!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pred can give you a boost but it's also depleting your adrenal glands while you take it. (And even if they come back online enough for you to go off pred, they are far from healthy). Depending on how much pred you take, it might not be staying in your body for long. At lower doses it definitely won't carry you for long the next day.

I have the fatigue thing very badly. I never feel refreshed. It's always just how wiped out I am-- extremely, a lot or a lot.

Having said all that, you should have a sleep study done to rule out sleep apnea. It can cause daytime sleepiness and fatigue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My mornings are bad

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    many people on here saying that they have trouble getting going in the morning, etc., I'm only going on what I've experienced and what others on here have implied. I hope some of them will chime in.
    If I stay in bed too long, I hurt more. I sometimes have to force myself to get up at 5:00 am and the first thing I do is have my morning coffee and a shower helps to revive me some.Then I just have to push forward. If I stop, I know I'm done for the day.
    Yes, I understand what you are saying about the tiredness and fatigue. As mentioned before...what you do the previous days will determine how you feel the day after.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12