Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off & On Fatigue (Anemia) Question:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Off & On Fatigue (Anemia) Question:

When I have it my biggest problem is sleepiness. Comatos-like after waking. I don't want to get up, even after a full night's sleep. But it comes and goes. Have had it for the last couple of weeks - but this morning I wake without it.

Wondering what makes it come, what makes it go - or is it just how things are.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thing here and I'm supposed to be 'medically in remission'. I, and the rheumy, simply write it off to WG as everything else is normal numbers wise, and other than the recurring lethargy, I have no other symptoms. Could be the mtx, but she says it isn't likely...I'm starting to think it's the 'way we ARE'...I know, too early for Streisand references! LOL! Yes Light, I do need another cup of coffee...sighs...some nites I can sleep 10-12 hours...others it's like pulling teeth to drift off. And waking is a real 'stumbler'...literally...takes me about 15 minutes to get things going...another reason for having solid and dependable routines...hate crashing into stuff in the dark of the morning! LOL!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can certainly empathize both with sleepiness and sleeplessness! Don't know why it happens, though!!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got the same basic issue. It's not as intense as the fatigue when flaring, but there is a noticeable amount of fatigue more regularly than I'd like.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me, too, for all of the above. I find that a small amount of melatonin helps me drift off at night. I take 75mg, preferably half an hour before I want to sleep. Available OTC.

As for the fatigue, my doc says I'm not anemic, so it's not that. I think it's a combo of the drugs, low adrenal function in AM before taking pred, and just the physical demands on the body of having WG.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the way it has been for me the last 10 years.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's the strangest thing to me how it comes and goes. Don't know what makes things "better" when it does go away. Hate that comatos feeling when I wake in the morning, knowing that I've had adequate sleep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find that if I overdo it on one day, like spend several hours doing even vaguely strenuous things that most healthy people can easily do, then I will likely be wiped out the next day! And I remember my doc telling me that prednisone takes about 4 hours to kick in, so if I sleep in too late and don't take it early enough, I'll be that much more behind the game!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

annekat, I would think such things as pred would be my system 24/7 and never have to "kick in" because I've it now since 4/2011. Are you saying pred "peps" one up, or is the reason one is sleepy?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TOBEY32 View Post
    annekat, I would think such things as pred would be my system 24/7 and never have to "kick in" because I've it now since 4/2011. Are you saying pred "peps" one up, or is the reason one is sleepy?

David
    For most people, pred "peps" one up. True, it probably stays in your system 24 hours, but you need to take it again the next day to maintain that level. If you take it a lot later than usual, you may feel less energetic, and since the new installment takes 4 hours to get fully into your system, according to my doc, who could be wrong, then there may be some lag time there. I have read many people on here saying that they have trouble getting going in the morning, etc., and I'm only guessing it could be because they haven't had their pred yet, not to mention coffee, of course. I do think that if you accidentally forget to take your pred, you will notice it. I'm certainly no expert, I'm only going on what I've experienced and what others on here have implied. I hope some of them will chime in.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast