Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Some sadness in my life ...

Hi all -- I've been out of touch for a while. Some of you knew my father had been ill and then broke his other hip and was hospitalized again for a hip replacement where he contracted pneumonia. Hospice took over his care and all of our siblings were in town expecting the worst and to say goodbye. Then only a few days later we were beneficiaries of what we called "the gift." Dad rebounded and it was if he was the dad we knew years ago -- at least a lot less affected by the Alzheimer's. Within a couple days of us all going home, dad went back to his ALF and we prepared again for his deteriorating health and the end. Those "gift" days buoyed our spirits, especially my mom. He was "with us" until he passed, although the last two days he was very quiet and slipping away. It was amazing how he could still hear and often react to a number of stimuli -- familiar voices and favorite music (classical, patriotic, and the Sound of Music). So peaceful for us all. Mom was with him when he passed away on November 4 (ironically just an hour before the baptism of the newest born in our family--twins). A couple weeks later about 40 family members (kids, grandkids) came to Florida and we celebrated dad's life and the legacy mom & dad began 62 years ago. It was truly a special time and we are forever grateful for the blessings of our loving family. Thank you for all of your kind words, thoughts, and prayers over the past months. It meant so much!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kathy, I'm glad you all got to spent some extra special time with your dad before his passing.
    I'm so sorry for your loss though. The loss of a parent or a child is always very difficult, no matter what the circumstance.

You and your family continue to be in our thoughts.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the passing of a parent is always a tough time,but you got to see your dad again and all his loved ones were there with him also.i missed my fathers passing by a few minutes and he died alone, and more than 25 years later that still haunts me.we will all pass on one day and what better way to go than to feel the love of your family around you.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My condolences Kathy. I am glad you got to experience that rebound.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kathy,
    I am so sorry for the loss of your Dad. I hope you and your famly find comfort & peace.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for your loss Kathy...but a very nice passing and ending it seems! Best to you and yours.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry to hear this Kathy. Your father is in my prayers.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My condolences on your loss.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry, Kathy. I'm glad you had the gift time with your dad. I bet that made a big difference for you and your family. Sending you love and best wishes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm sorry you have lost your dad, Kathy. I'm glad you got that gift of his rebounding for a time before his passing.

I lost my dad in 2011 right before my Wegener's diagnosis. I was too sick to go be with him but he was surrounded by other family. It was a peaceful passing, as it sounds like your dad's was, too. My problem is I've had trouble properly grieving for him all this time; it's as if my feelings are too buried to experience them fully. I do think about him every day, and I'm sure at some point something will trigger a reaction and it will hit me like a ton of bricks. It sounds like you and your family are doing all the right things to honor his memory and express your love for him and each other along with dealing with the process of grief. More power to you!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast