User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lets share tips and tricks to save money this holiday season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another couple ideas that came to me for gifts:

I love the amaryllis bulbs that are available almost anywhere. They are often not expensive, easy to ship, and produce really beautiful blooms in the middle of winter. Same for paper white narcissus. Also lily bulbs to be planted for spring and summer bloom (when you can plant may depend on where you live.)

There are some nice gifts available online from animal rescue sites and fair trade sites where people in less developed countries are paid fairly for their work. A place to start is www.theanimalrescuesite.com. You can also click there to help provide food for homeless pets and those affected by hurricane Sandy, for free.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Another couple ideas that came to me for gifts:

I love the amaryllis bulbs that are available almost anywhere. They are often not expensive, easy to ship, and produce really beautiful blooms in the middle of winter. Same for paper white narcissus. Also lily bulbs to be planted for spring and summer bloom (when you can plant may depend on where you live.)

There are some nice gifts available online from animal rescue sites and fair trade sites where people in less developed countries are paid fairly for their work. A place to start is www.theanimalrescuesite.com. You can also click there to help provide food for homeless pets and those affected by hurricane Sandy, for free.
    Thanks, I clicked on the animal rescue link. Very worth the click.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow all great ideas. We have smiths here that gives points off for gas. And sad but good I get 50 points per rx, and 400 points give you 2$ off a gal. We also with fam and friends have girls from 15 down to two so every so often like this time off year. Pack all clothing to small or the child does not like , and toys traid to the next size down.
    "My daughter is closer to me than my skin.. she is the arteries to my heart.. she is my life line.. The reason I breathe.."

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great ideas, all! I've been "making" things for gifts, too. Buying fleece remnants provides a number of options -- blankets, throws, scarves, etc. Easy to cut and then tie knots for fringe. The first time I tried it, our women's group was making "care kits" for those in need in our community. I volunteered to make the scarves and they came out pretty well, so I've tried some more as gifts for loved ones. They look good and have been very economical to make!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been painting wineglasses for candle holders, painting Christmas ornaments, and wood burning and or carving pitcher frames.
    "My daughter is closer to me than my skin.. she is the arteries to my heart.. she is my life line.. The reason I breathe.."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These all sound like excellent ideas and fun ways to pass the time, especially for those Weggies who stay home and can use some things to do..... People who don't think they are "artistic" or "creative" may be surprised, with a little practice!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    these all sound like excellent ideas and fun ways to pass the time, especially for those weggies who stay home and can use some things to do..... People who don't think they are "artistic" or "creative" may be surprised, with a little practice!
    hear!! Hear!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As the costs mount up, i think the cheapest option is to join another faith
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy8241 View Post
    Possibly, but I think they give presents, too.......besides, many of us simply enjoy the Christmas season and traditions regardless of the depth of our faith...... Even atheists get swept into it to some degree! But spending a lot of money is not a prerequisite for having a Merry Christmas!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hammy8241 View Post
    Totally worked for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast