Likes Likes:  0

Thread: To Root Canal Or Not To Root Canal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default To Root Canal Or Not To Root Canal

Got 2 teeth needing attention. Dentist says she won't know till going in, but they'll either need a root canal, a crown, or extraction. Not worried about the crown, but got some feedback today regarding the canal and how bacteria can gather "underneath" which goes to the heart (I sometimes wonder what condition my heard is in already). I think of just asking her to pull them, but I thought that messed with teeth alignment?

Any feedback?

Also how do things like Bactrim feed into such things as crowns & canals - prior & post?

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't help you re Bactrim. But make sure your dentist knows if you are taking Alendronic Acid (and any other meds!)as this is improtant to dentists.

Problems with my teeth including root treatment has been ok for me.

I'm sure that others who live in the dentist will give you the full answer you need. Good luck.
    Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes.
    Jim Carrey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 4 extractions- two wisdom teeth and the neighboring molars, while being treated for active Wegs. There was no problem. The teeth were too far gone for root canals, so can't speak to that. I discussed alendronate with the dentist and oral surgeon and they were on top of it... it had to do with how long I'd been taking it, for one thing, and I forget what else, but they were very competent, both being professors at UW Dental School. I was taking Bactrim, but the surgeon prescribed an additional antibiotic to take prior to the surgery, and I don't remember what it was or if I also took it post-op. Of course I told them I had Wegs and they knew what it was and what issues were involved. I healed very well and barely needed the pain killers I went home with.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ask Jan W. She works in the dental field and I highly respect her opinion.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for any/all info. Might be able to do crowns after all. Might get help with the next two, but not till after the new year. Gotta watch what I eat (hard stuff) maybe from here on out. Didn't want to put any more on my credit card. Got no business doing that - and maybe I won't have to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have same issues root canal and crown 1000.00 out of pocket or extraction 65.00 is the root canal going to last my friend had a root and crown 4 weeks later crown fell out had to pull .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The root canal issue is huge, especially if you already have an AI disease. Your dentist can tell you if extracting a tooth will affect chewing, alignment, etc... I had a tooth extracted and it doesn't affect anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my root canal a few months ago and now love my dentist. I don't know why I waited soooo many years to get it done ( must have bee waiting for him). No pain, 2 weeks later cap was fitted on and now it's great. Best of all NO more pain
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had two (I think CTX was bad for my teeth). The first one went without a hitch. The second one I had issues with...eventually we figured out they new cap was too tall and had been causing me problems for about a year. Once they ground it down it was much better.
    ~ Bob