Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Imuran Side Effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good on you GL, get some rest, we forget that we can't do what we once did...sheesh. Yeah, drugs are pretty personal...WG seems to cause tailored drug use. Go with the flow...for now...doesn't really matter if it's the drugs or the disease...you don't feel well...
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gunny,

I am also on Imuran and have not had any problems with it, however when we first switched (or got on) we had to keep a close eye on how I'm feeling and report everything. The reason for this is that some people are missing an enzyme that helps you metabolize the drug. I asked my doc if we can do a blood test to see if that's the case before we even start the drug and she said there is a test (and she was able to do it in her own lab when she worked at Mayo) but nobody does it in the province that I live in, so all we could do is watch and see for negative side effects... I can't remember the specifics, but that's the general set of events.

Hopefully this sheds some light and maybe gives you a set of questions for your next visit. If the symptoms don't subside from the pred increase, I would consider calling my doc and asking to investigate this avenue.

Take care and quick recovery,

marta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Went to the Dr a couple days ago; she says it was a Flare and doubled the Pred. That plus 2 days bed rest and I feel like a new Man! Just hope this lasts! Labs came back Clean!

The Journey continues..........................

GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    Went to the Dr a couple days ago; she says it was a Flare and doubled the Pred. That plus 2 days bed rest and I feel like a new Man! Just hope this lasts! Labs came back Clean!

The Journey continues..........................

GL
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Stay well and healthy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks drz!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Glad to hear you are feeling better. Stay well and healthy!
    Ditto Drz Gunnyl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest Update:

My C Anka's told the story that I was definitely in the middle of a flare even though my other labs were normal. Have been on Imuran for 4 weeks and am decreasing the Prednisone a little each week. I have never felt better since I started this journey called Wegeners. So the Imuran is definitely doing it's job and I am very optimistic if things continue on this path. Baruch Hashem!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently started the Imuran journey too. I am happy to say I think it's working! Been through methotrexate and that was not fun, taking pills is much easier...

Only bad thing is I had some pretty monster headaches and I lost some hair

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carie, glad to hear that Imuran is working for you too. I haven't had the hair loss thing but if I do I'll be happy and my wife will be mad because I'd prefer to shave my head but she hates it. I had some headaches in the beginning but don't know if that was coming off the Methotrexate or because of the Imuran. I learned something interesting from my Dr. She has me taking the Folic Acid for another 6 Months. She said it takes that long for MTX to leave your system.
    GL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12