Thread: Imuran Side Effects

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Imuran Side Effects

Okay,

Started Imuran about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Am suffering from severe fatigue right now. I am transitioning from MTX to Imuran so I am on 100mg of Plaquenil and 10mg Prednisone in addition to the Imuran.
    I haven't been this fatigued since I got out of the hospital last year.

Anybody else experience severe fatigue from Imuran?

Thanks,

GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found many of side effects from a new med seem to reduce after a few weeks. I don't recall how it felt when I started Imuran 1 1/2 years ago. Fatigue is a usual problem for me for many reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Gunny,

I was on immuran for about 10 days earlier this year. I ended up having either a flare, a bad reaction to the drug, and what looked like pneumonia on my chest x-ray. Docs never really determined tha cause. Part of the problem might have been a too brief transition from ctx to immuran. When I transitioned from ctx to mtx in June, I didn't take any immunosuppressant for about 10 days. I had no problem with the ctx-mtx transition.

To answer your question, during the ctx-immuran transition, I had crushing fatigue, night sweats, a cough, and persistent hiccups. No fun.

Hope you had a good Veterans' Day otherwise.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Gunny, I transitioned from CTX to Immuran about a year ago, after being on CTX for about six months, and did not experience any serious side effects. In fact, I no longer had the horrible night mares I had while I was on CTX. My energy levels are still way down, with not much endurance, just the way they were while I was on CTX. I'm still on 5 mg Preds and a few other meds.
    Rudi K.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried it for about a week but like all these drugs if there is a bad reaction or side effect I will get it.I just can not tolerate them. Thank God things have been doing good for me I have been on 5 mg. of pred for about a year now. I hope you get used to it and the fatigue lessens maybe they can lower the doseage. I was reading that other post earlier about a study that was done that 1 infusion of rtx is better than all these other drugs and gets you into remission faster ....you should look into that.Good luck and hope u feel better soon !!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    Okay,

Started Imuran about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Am suffering from severe fatigue right now. I am transitioning from MTX to Imuran so I am on 100mg of Plaquenil and 10mg Prednisone in addition to the Imuran.
    I haven't been this fatigued since I got out of the hospital last year.

Anybody else experience severe fatigue from Imuran?

Thanks,

GL
    What is your dosage and taper up to max dosage? I know mine was pretty slow. I am now at 175 but think I started at 50 mg and it took a couple months or more before I got up to 200 but had to cut back to 175 due to elevation in liver enzymes. Have you had any lab work to see how your body is handling it? I think I also had weekly labs for first few months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on Imuran 50mg twice a day, 100mg Plaquenil and 10mg Prednisone. I'm wondering if the combination of the plaquenil and imuran is too much for me to handle, they both are known to cause fatigue. I think I would rather have joint pain from time to time than the fatigue. I can push through pain but the fatigue is kicking my rear end! I have these crazy fasciculations in my legs that won't go away so I have to take Flexeril to sleep.
    My Veterans day was good Pete; thanks!

GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE:
    Saw my Rheumy today and got good news and bad news. Fatigue is not a drug reaction but rather the symptom of a bad flare. She ran another panel of labs and kicked the Pred up to 20mg to get me through the transition to the Imuran. If the labs come back showing signs of the disease I may have to go through a couple rounds of Retuximab. We'll see what happens and hope for the best. I'll know in a couple days what the prognosis is.
    GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyl View Post
    Fatigue is not a drug reaction but rather the symptom of a bad flare.GL
    Gunny, sir, if I may...LOL! Sorry, I'm in a mood today, must be the drugs! LOL! Anyway, not sure I agree with docs on fatigue. Yes, it is part of the disease, but get me off all these drugs, and aside from possibly dying (YIKES!...again...), and my energy will return...I can tell the differences in drugs, etc. just from my reactions.
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dirty Don,

Day two after being cranked up on the Pred dosage I already feel much better but am going to follow orders and stay in bed one more day to give it time to work it's magic. But I think she was right and I was wrong because I was thinking it was the meds too.

GL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast