Thread: Grumblings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grumblings

So I have a huge problem (literally).

I gotta get this weight off ASAP. Especially the moonface and buffalo hump.

I work in the beauty industry, and have been asked to do a gala like I did last christmas. It's not a nice industry but essentially I am selling myself (indirectly through make up - not that kind of selling yourself) and they are remembering me from last Christmas, and I can't say "yea Ive gained 65lbs and my face is a fishbowl"... Long story short, they don't want anyone selling their make up.. Essentially they want you to look good so other people will buy their make up.. lol.. marketing.. dirty world.

I'm not sure how much physical activity I can do (joints swell) but at this point I am eating very little, and starting Imuran next week.. Speaking of which, how will I tolerate this? I already have a sick stomach most of the time, so I hope it doesn't worsen for me. Essentially I told my rheumy that unless he was going to start paying my bills, I need to get off the prednisone. My body has been destroyed. I will never wear shorts, tshirts, or anything in public ever again. I have purple striae from head to toe. Even places I didn't even gain weight. (like my neck??? wtf??? there is no fat on my neck!)

I'm down to 10mg pred starting Monday... I need this to go... Even if I could lose 15lbs.. Anything at this point. I'm already sensitive about it and I'm scared they are going to make a stink over it.

I am so whiney about this.. lol.. My husband is ready to throw me to the birds! Me and my erratic panic posts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds like a real stressful situation for you. My thoughts are that trying to lose a lot of weight real quickly is usually a big health risk. Throw in meds that make it hard and Wegs waiting to flare and the risks are much greater.

I think most of us have days often when we rue the things we have lost from Wegs or other things. Acceptance and adjusting to my losses and my new"normal" is tough, but often it is the best way and easier than banging my head against the wall. It doesn't mean giving up and I can still work toward further recovery while also accepting current limitations even though this is often very hard. I am still struggling with these issues two and half years after diagnosis with the past year and half being in drug induced remission.

What is most important to me is trying to enjoy the extra time I was given for as long as possible. That means trying to preserve my health as much as possible so I can stay out hospitals if possible and to include as many fun things as i can into my life without over taxing myself or endangering myself by making poor choices. I often do anyway since this involves lots of trial and error but I try to learn from my mistakes and focus on what is most important to me.
    Last edited by drz; 11-25-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Carrie,

Would agree with Drz about being very careful health-wise with any diet.
    I hated being on prednisone too. So really understand how you feel about the side-effects. Unfortunately for us it is a necessary evil.
    When I was down to about 10mg, I started the Paleo diet. It's is a good diet for us weggies as it reduces inflammation in the body.
    It is a tough though. Need to cut out all wheat and dairy. But it does work and you will see the effects quickly. Check out Rob Wolff website for good advice.
    I also walk the dog every day for an hour... don't push myself, just a gentle stroll, and that helps too.
    As for the imuran, I have been on that for eight years with no problems. Could tolerate it much better than MTX.
    Would advise that you talk to your Doc before you do any diet...the most important thing is that you stay well, and get off the prednisone at a sensible rate.
    Yvonne

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrie, I can understand how you feel.

If it were me I would drop that marketing job. Too much stress. Beauty is on the inside, not the outside.

Please do not eat less than what is healthy. You need your nurishment and nutrition. Eating less is not a good idea at all unless you are overeating of course.

Pres is nasty for sure. Everyone wants to get off it. But you cant rush it unfortunately.

I have been on Imuran for about 18 months this time around. I seem to tolerate it quite well. No outward side effects that seem to bother me anyway.

As far as exercise, just do what you can. Sit in a chair and so some arm stretches for 5 minutes or so. Even that will help. I know cardio is the weight loss exercise but you have to start somewhere. I got a treadmill this summer and have not used it yet. I am in too poor of shape yet to use it. Hopefully some time this winter I can get on it for a few minutes each day to help build up my stamina.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Carrie,

I have to agree with Phil and Drz.

Not eating much is not going to help you lose weight. Your body is going to store the fat because it wont know when it is going to get food next.
    Try eating small meals at least six times a day so that you can trick your body into thinking more food is coming and therefore wont store the fat.

I know this is easier said than done........ and I should be listening to my own advice, because I do none of this (except some walking).

The most important thing is to look after yourself and not to do anything that will cause you to flair or even obtain an injury.......please don't resort to eating a very little amount as this wont help you to get through your days (we all need as many spoons as we can get to achieve this, right)

Take care
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everyone's advice and just would add that they would have no right making a stink about you not losing weight or any of the effects of pred.... you did not ask to get this disease, you are under medical care, and they can't expect you to just fit into their mold. I do understand your disappointment that you can't be what you were before in appearance. But you are still a beautiful woman with a lot going for you, and I'll bet you'd be able to make yourself look glamorous, and do justice to their make-up, in spite of everything. If they don't like it, they'll have to find someone else. Or if you don't feel comfortable with it, you shouldn't do it. Christmas isn't long from now and I think it would be pretty hard on your body to try to lose weight that fast. I hope you will feel better on the Imuran than the MTX and perhaps other things will improve, too. I think with time you will look and feel like your old self again.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carrie..here's the thing ..you are selling make-up. It doesn't matter how big you are ,by your pictures you are still a beautiful woman. So what if you have gained weight,it's something none of us can help and anymore they are showing more plus size models. So I wouldn't worry about it. Believe me I know its sad not to look the same as before but if people can't get passed it then that's there problem. Put on your best face and smile and be happy...you'll do good.
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't sweat the weight.... Seriously, it's not a big deal -- especially for make-up. Trying to lose it quickly would be a big health issue, not to mention a big downer, because as long as you are on pred or any of the other weight gain stuff, it's just going to be frustrating. Accept the way things are (you look great btw) and press let the show go on.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Don't sweat the weight.... Seriously, it's not a big deal -- especially for make-up. Trying to lose it quickly would be a big health issue, not to mention a big downer, because as long as you are on pred or any of the other weight gain stuff, it's just going to be frustrating. Accept the way things are (you look great btw) and press let the show go on.....
    I think everyone on here has given you excellent advice. The only thing I could add is that have you considered making lemonade out of your lemons? Tell them that you are going to teach women this year how to minimize their flaws, for example if they have a moon face from steroid use how do they shade with their makeup to make the best of it? If they have scarring, how do they hide it? How do they compensate for a too short, too long, nose , chin etc. get the drift??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi folks,

Thanks for all your advice and kind words. I wasn't sure how to reply, still not quite sure... I ended up turning down the gala this year, I just told them the truth - I am going through treatment for an autoimmune disease and I just am not feeling up to it. Not only would I have to deal with the stares from people I haven't seen since last year, but I just don't feel like plastering on a smile and doing it to be honest.. lol.. Call me the grinch, but I just can't deal with it this time around.

I am in a bit of a rut. I am over the weight thing sorta because once again I am feeling lousy. Really puts things in to perspective, when I feel good I start fussing about weight and appearance and how this disease has made me ugly. However the past week has been terrible. My doc had me TMPT (or tpmt.. I dont know.. something like that) to see if I could take Imuran and I can. So he put me on that.. AND YAK.. Hair is falling out, monster migraines... Like I'm talking about massive migraines that make me gag when I move they are so bad. Hopefully this goes away....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast