Thread: lost my voice, help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default lost my voice, help!

I need some advice!
    I've got the worst cold I've ever had and have completely lost my voice! So far I've only been taking paracetamol and drinking a hot drink made with ginger, lemon, honey and water but it doesn't seem to help really.

Any advice, tips, home cures or anything at all you can think of that might help? I've never lost my voice before and it is sooo frustrating but also, I cannot work if I can't speak as I work as a telephone customer service rep. :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm so sorry to hear this Malin.

Don't stop taking your hot drink. I think that is doing some good even though you are not improving. I am not sure what else to suggest. Maybe some lozenges or gargling with warm water. Of course lots of rest is important as well.

I hope you feel better soon. Keep us posted.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're having a lot of sinus drainage, you may want to try an antihistamine and decongestant.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Call your ENT doctor and have some one explain your plight or send the doctor an email and ask for help. Maybe they can see you soon or recommended or prescribe some treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can get ahold of a throat spray containing healing herbs, it could help. I'd avoid anything with menthol, which a lot of lozenges have, as I've found it to be drying. Small herbal companies make sprays containing propolis, a healing substance made by bees in the hive, and anything containing aloe vera would likely help. Some of us on here have used Entertainer's Throat Spray, which as far as I know is mainly available online but can be ordered at pharmacies in the US; it's main ingredient is aloe vera, and it helps a lot with dry throat and hoarseness. Don't know about the UK, but here in the US I've found some good herbal throat products in the natural food sections of regular grocery stores.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a lot to add to this. I hope you were able to contact your ENT-doc, and that you 'll soon feel better, Malin!
    Please keep us informed!
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lost my voice after my diagnosis and time in the hospital over a year ago. Although I have most of speaking voice back...I still can't sing. I was a classically trained tenor - so this has been a bummer to say the least. My ENT said that he thought it was prednisone related...have you had a bump or change in your meds? My pred dose is really low these days (3mg/d) and I still don't have all of my ability back yet...but it seems to be improving very very slowly - so that's something. Hope you get better soon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by norcalian View Post
    I lost my voice after my diagnosis and time in the hospital over a year ago. Although I have most of speaking voice back...I still can't sing. I was a classically trained tenor - so this has been a bummer to say the least. My ENT said that he thought it was prednisone related...have you had a bump or change in your meds? My pred dose is really low these days (3mg/d) and I still don't have all of my ability back yet...but it seems to be improving very very slowly - so that's something. Hope you get better soon!
    I've had a lot of voice problems with Wegs pre dx and during treatment.... I'm not a trained singer like you but sing to myself now and then... for a long time, even when my voice was improving, I still could not sing at all! Little by little it came back to where I can sing OK, nothing to brag about, but singing, nonetheless. It just takes a lot of time for that improvement to take place. I hope that is encouraging and that you get your full singing voice back. I'm glad it's improved some already.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't sing...but I do golf as my one talent left me. It took me 10 months nearly to the day to get my natural swing back after my crash just over a year ago. Was a combination of muscle deterioration (drugs and/or the disease), concentration (see last parentheses!!!), and time...hang in there - I'm sure you sing better than I golf, but the point is to keep working at it and be patient!

*PETE: shot 73 today...I'm baaaaaaaack!
    Knowing how to think empowers you far beyond those who only know what to think. -NdT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I've had a lot of voice problems with Wegs pre dx and during treatment.... I'm not a trained singer like you but sing to myself now and then... for a long time, even when my voice was improving, I still could not sing at all! Little by little it came back to where I can sing OK, nothing to brag about, but singing, nonetheless. It just takes a lot of time for that improvement to take place. I hope that is encouraging and that you get your full singing voice back. I'm glad it's improved some already.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. It gives me more hope. I think any singing in any shape or form is great. These days all of my singing is to/with my kids - and they're kind judges of my current ability.