Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Flu shots and joint pains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flu shots and joint pains.

I got my flu shot last week and early this week I woke up during the night with mild pain in both elbows and started worrying that this felt like how the Wegs started four or five years ago and wondered if I was starting a Wegs flare. The last time I had such pains was way over a year ago when I was tapering my pred meds down to present level of 5 mg daily. One time in past year I had a sore elbow from carrying a heavy suitcase but that was only one arm and went away in a few days.

I was viewed in good remission by symptoms and lab results two weeks earlier. I was already scheduled to see my Wegs consultant for routine follow up in two days as part of their research study so felt reassured I would get evaluated adequately to see if a flare was starting up. Those lab results were also good and the pain seemed to diminished in a couple days so I think I am still in a drug induced remission. One doctor suggested the flu shot could cause a temporary inflammation in a joint that might not show up in lab work for inflammation markers. Some doctors also commented to me that they experience more soreness in their arms this year from the flu shots than in the past. Some other residents where I live also believe they got sick following their flu shots but most of the other residents here are still getting them today as their doctors are all recommending they do so.

So how many are getting them and what is your experience with the flu shots this year?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

before WG i'd never had a flu shot because i rarely caught flu or colds.after WG my doc suggested i started to have it because with having a compromised immune system any infection could be serious.up to now i've had no problems in fact i had this years jab 3 days ago.maybe i'm just lucky in not having side effects.
    john.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't had my flu shot as yet, but plan to. My sister who is severely immune compromised had a reaction to her flu and/or pneumonia shot -- fever, aches/pains, and arm redness. She needed an antibiotic! Her doc thought it was a reaction to the pneumonia shot, but wasn't sure. Also, she had been previously exposed to hand-foot-mouth disease from her grandkids and was also suspected to still be carrying it in her system although she didn't have the disease. Interesting. My hubby had his flu shot with no reaction at all. Hope you are on the mend, drz!!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had my flu shot about three weeks ago. No symptoms noted.

Had a pneumonia shot while I was in hospital at Wegs onset. Don't know if that made things worse or not. Don't have to get another one for three years.

Reducing pred to 7 mg/day tomorrow. Continuing to taper at 1 mg/day every two weeks. Continuing with 15 mg/wk of MTX and bactrim on M-W-F. So far, so good.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will not get the flu shot or any vaccine again unless I am forced into doing it like I was last year.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    So how many are getting them and what is your experience with the flu shots this year?
    My GP sent me an invitation for his flu-shot opening-hours (a special assistent will give you the shot) but I think I won't go.
    I had a mild cold, two weeks ago, and I recovered within a week. No symptoms left.
    I hope I won't get the flu this year, but when I get it, I hope the flu itself won't hurt me as much as the flu shot might do.
    It still remains a bit of a puzzle, but I made up my mind...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We each have our own health history and the risks vary with our own history. I have lung damage from the Wegs and suppressed immune system from the meds and diabetes. With the diabetes alone I was considered a higher risk from any flu and was always given high priority for getting flu shots first. Older people are also considered higher risk too and are given flu shots first. Throw in damage lungs from Wegs and suppressed immune system and my risk of dying from the flu are much higher than my chances of dying from a flare. Getting a flare from a flu shot is also considered a remote risk so for me getting the flu shot was considered a much lower health risk than not getting one.

The rest of you might have much different risk assessment. I also have no history of getting any serious problems from past flu shots which also weighed in their assessment of my risks.

If I trust my doctors, i listen to their advice. If I don't trust them I get another opinion or consultation and then replace them with some one I trust more if possible. As I have written months ago in these forums I almost died back in 2010 but with some luck and good treatment over several months they eventually got me into a drug induced remission and I recovered enough to live mostly independently (I have my own apartment in an assisted living complex with minimal services). My survival and degree of recovery is considered sort of a medical miracle so I guess i have a lot trust in my current medical team. I got a mostly new treatment team after my diagnosis of Wegs and i generally follow their recommendations.
    Last edited by drz; 10-30-2012 at 10:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Shots

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I will not get the flu shot or any vaccine again unless I am forced into doing it like I was last year.
    I'm with you Phil.
    I haven't had a flu shot yet and today my Dr. asked me if I wanted to get a shingles shot. I replied by questioning about that being a live virus?
    He said that it has recently been determined that is no longer the case??? Does anyone know of this? It is a live virus , yes, but supposedly safe now?
    I told him not today and I would read up on the subject before I decide.
    I was wondering if I could get some feed back on this.
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard that it's changed, Terri. There's nothing new posted on the CDC website under Shingles vaccine.