Thread: Reef Aquarium Beginnings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Reef Aquarium Beginnings

Hi Folks,

As some of you know I am a bit obsessed with aquariums. I keep a few freshwater planted aquariums but when I was really sick, I decided I wanted to start a reef. It was supposed to be my "wedding" gift but since I was so sick, it never really happened on time. I've had the aquarium sitting in my basement for months (since the wedding) but, it never got set up.

Anyway my lovely husband built me a stand and installed the lighting system today. I aim to have fishies and corals by Christmas.

My other aquariums:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

These aquariums are beautiful, tranquil and so peaceful to look at and I imagine you must feel the same way too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are just lovely Carrie,

We used to run a 5ft tank with tropical fish in, but it got too hard to look after. The tank has sat empty for about 2 years now.

I wanted to re-do it and put some frogs in, but you need a special licence to keep frogs, so we just listen to them in our backyard some nights.
    The dog brought one to the backdoor once, shaken but not harmed, so we put it out in the front yard. I'm pretty sure it found it's way back to the backyard.
    .........sorry, my mind has gone off on a little wander.

Fish tanks......love them. My daughter now runs three small tanks and she has such a flair when it comes to the colours and accessories that make it look spectacular.

One day we will get ours going again.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome, Carrie! I look forward to pics of the reef aquarium in all its glory.

Michelle, my cat caught a frog once, too! It made a loud noise that sounded human, an aaaaaah! kind of sound. But it was not injured and I returned it to what seemed like a safe place. I can only hope this is not a common occurrence. The same thing happened once with a baby garter snake, but without the sound effects. It was also able to be saved.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hpe you have a great aquarium. Here are some shots of my friend's aquarium, he builds ans maintains them in Vancouver so if you ever need some info let me know sorry iPad pics don't work will add later
    Last edited by jola57; 10-23-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's really nice Carrie,your hubbie did a good job ! I have a 32 gal (empty) sitting in the basement.I wanted to make it salt but I thought it would be alot of work.Good luck on yrs...send pix when done
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I filled the sucker yesterday! Took 24 hours running straight from the reverse osmosis machine. I jimmyrigged a cable after I realized lugging bucket upon bucket of water was going to be the death of me LOL.

Initial filling..

WoohOo ROCKS!

After I put the sand in.. Chocolate milk lol

And today.. Still going to be a few days before it clears, but I can't wait to destress downstairs in my "woman cave" with all the fish once it's settled.. I keep telling people who ask that it's part of my recovery.. haha! Still have cables and stuff everywhere... Will tuck all that away in the cabinet once it's running!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to see it with fish in it (and other creatures?). And I think it IS a part of your recovery!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW that's a huge tank ! love the blue light too , good luck with it all , its going to look amazing when its all set up with fish and coral !!!!
    Diagnosed March 2001 ... WG Involvement - Ears . Sinus ( saddle nose) , eye ( blind Left )
    currently on 5 mg Pred , Myfortex 6x360mg/d , Fosamax 70mg .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't wait to see it when it's all done
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast