Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reef Aquarium Beginnings

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LET THERE BE LIFE (lol).

Finally got some LIVING THINGS IN THERE! woohoo. Due to wegs (of course) and the fact that these tanks need to mature and cycle before adding living things (which are expensive.. ouch) I only got a few things in on Friday.

Feast your eyes on my nemos. (ocellaris clownfish)

And some other flora (fauna? they aren't really plants!)

Aussie Duncan coral (funny lad, likes to steal my fish's food!)

Frogspawn coral (fluorescent, very cool and jiggly)

These are zoas (come in all colors, some have funny names like eagle eyed zoas or cotton candy, these are similar to eagle eyes) and they are small and just kind of encrust on rocks and look a bit interesting and add some color. I need to frag them off that rock and stick them on my naked rocks for some excitement. However SOME OF THEM emit some kind of toxin when you start cutting into them. So I need to find out about that (I can almost smell a flare.. apparently it can make one quite sick) but I don't believe these ones do. I hope. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, and here is a full tank shot.. Still pretty darn empty, LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is so awesome! You have some really beautiful life forms in there already. I might save at least one of those photos to use in a screensaver or something.... probably the one with the nemos, at least.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love aquariums.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! really wonderful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's looking really nice Carrie...when u get in yr crazy moods--- go in there and just relax and forget about everything. I used to love my aquarium but it was nothing at all like yours. I couldn't but expensive fish because they didn't last long..so I ended up turning into an iguanna home.That got really boring and they also carry some kind of disease. So its now gonna be garage sale material this year !!
    Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a hobby I love. It lets me totally obsess and be involved with something. So much to learn and do, and it's right here in my home. On the plus side, if I get sick they can handle a few days of no attention, and when I'm feeling crappy the fish don't mind if I just chill on the couch and watch them. There is a lot to be learned by watching fish, and if you watch long enough you will see some amazing things. Just today I watched two of my crabs get into an epic battle over an empty shell (they live in them), and one crab tossed the loser right off the rock. Was a bit hilarious.

There is so many things living in there that I don't even know what they are.. All types of worms and sea life (most come in off the "live rock") and I sometimes go down at night with a flash light, the things you will see then!

I'm part of a local aquarium club (Atlantic Canadian based) and we have a forum and we have socials and events.. It's lots of fun. I have met some great friends there and it's nice to get us all together as we are an odd bunch all brought together by one common thing. Kinda like us weggies on here

I have kept fish for almost 9 years now, so I was into this before I got sick... But it is really nice to have a hobby I can do at home. I think everyone should keep fish.. lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looks great. My wife really loves fish, but our aquarium always ends up turning green lol...I can't stand it so I refuse to have fish because of that.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Green like pea soup? lol

Usually an algae - too much phosphate in the water - too much light.. Could be several reasons really.

I know I'm such a nerd..

It's unfortunate, a lot of people get into the hobby and get frustrated by something. Whether their fish keep dying, their water turns green, what have you.. Usually there is a fix. There is quite a learning curve to having an aquarium but if I can do it, anyone can!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have to be a nerd, that is a pretty good thing to be a nerd about!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast