User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Eustachian Tube Narrowing Lead To Chronic Ear Wax Buildup?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Can Eustachian Tube Narrowing Lead To Chronic Ear Wax Buildup?

Hi!

Since Nov- Dec, 2011, my ent doctor has had to frequently remove ear wax. When I saw him in Dec, 2011, I also tested positive for eustachian tube dysfunction and since then, my ears gets blocked (with ear wax) too frequently. For example, one month after recently seeing my ent doc, my hearing decreased (along with experiencing symptoms such as ear popping and high pitch tinnitus sounds).

It seems like now I will have to go to my ent doc every one to two months and have him remove the ear wax, so I can hear better. I find this so frustrating and was wondering if anyone has had similar symptoms and could this be from a narrowing of the eustachian tubes? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My tubes are blocked as well but that does not matter for me because I have cochlear implants now. But back when it did matter more not even tubes in the ears made a difference. I still get a lot of wax as well but just clean my own canals out with a Q-tip. I still go see my ENT now and then just to have him look me over.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough, and I mentioned in another post, I had a crushed eustachian tube 4 years ago (so far no sinus involvement) and my ENT at that time said it was allergy related. Maybe he was right but maybe it was Weg's crap. I too having popping in my ear and lots of wax. Although my hearing has not been damaged. I see a new ENT next month and hope to get more info.

Good luck!
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My ENT suggested using ear drops for swimmers. These are a mix of rubbing alcohol and glycerin. They help keep the ear canal dry and soften the wax.
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My ENT suggested using ear drops for swimmers. These are a mix of rubbing alcohol and glycerin. They help keep the ear canal dry and soften the wax.
    Phil, try this you should not be putting ANYTHING smaller than your elbow in your ear. WHAT am I going to do with you??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first ENT when I was a little kid said the same thing!! lol
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    My first ENT when I was a little kid said the same thing!! lol
    My first ENT taught me how to make q-tips with cotton and small sticks to clean out infection matter from my ears several times a day so the drops could get in and do some good. It did eventually heal the infections and stopped the drainage but the recurrent cholesteatomas eventually destroyed the middle ear and most of the hearing in that ear. I still use q-tips and alcohol to clean ear canal and dry out excessive moisture that builds up behind the hearing aid plug I have to wear when I am awake. My current ENT that has cleaned out my ear and mastoid cavity for years says to use good quality q-tips and change them frequently so the cotton doesn't come off in the ear canal which did happen once years ago. Witch hazel also seems preferable to pure alcohol and works as well to dry up moisture. Even after the hearing is gone blocked Eustachian tubes can result in ear infections that are very painful and best to avoid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know what I'm doing. I am a doctor after all.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I know what I'm doing. I am a doctor after all.
    It is possible to be very careful. It is sometimes impossible to resist putting things in the ears to dislodge wax, etc. Just know how far not to go.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use Qtips too...though the doctor has told me not to. I can't stand the feeling of wax buildup in my ears. I do use a bulb syringe to clean them out in the shower occasionally though and that seems to reduce the "stickiness".
    ~ Bob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast