Thread: Open sores that won't heal

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Open sores that won't heal

Good morning -- I have a few open sores on my chest (just below neck) that remain tender to the touch, fresh red, a bit weepy, and won't heal. One is the size of my finger tip, the other two are a bit smaller. A few weeks ago I thought they were blemishes from being out in the sun on our boat. Now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, it could be a range of things, and most commonly dermititis or something similar. I've had these and since we are on pred it will be slower to heal.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Good morning -- I have a few open sores on my chest (just below neck) that remain tender to the touch, fresh red, a bit weepy, and won't heal. One is the size of my finger tip, the other two are a bit smaller. A few weeks ago I thought they were blemishes from being out in the sun on our boat. Now I'm not so sure. Any thoughts?

KB
    Hi KB...when you say "won't heal," what kind of time period are we talking about? If they have been standing/persistent, without improvement for more than one week, OR if they have an area of erythema, swelling or red stria around them don't wait. Get thee to a doc right away. Not to be alarmist, but worry about staph infection as you are immunosuppressed. See: MRSA infection: Symptoms - MayoClinic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had couple of these and used a steroid cream on them. It still took forever to heal, the one on my forearm left a scar, it's been 3 years. The comparison I think of is like chicken pox and scars it leaves on face. But the good news is that they eventually go away. Show your doc and ask for something to help it heal.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    I've had couple of these and used a steroid cream on them. It still took forever to heal, the one on my forearm left a scar, it's been 3 years. The comparison I think of is like chicken pox and scars it leaves on face. But the good news is that they eventually go away. Show your doc and ask for something to help it heal.
    I still have two sores on my right arm that have not healed from the shingles I had in February. I am using silva-sorb and keeping it covered with a clean bandage while I am at work.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone -- my doctor appointment on Monday should help figure this out! There certainly are lots of possibilities!

I have so many bloody spots and scars on my arms from bumping into and scraping things -- tissue skin! They bleed profusely and take forever to heal! Gotta love prednisone!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kathyb View Post
    gotta love prednisone!

Kb
    not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jola57 View Post
    I have one scar on my arm from such a sore and a couple spots on my legs that were frozen to try get rid of them and they now seem to be fading some after several months. I think my skin problems come with GPA and diabetes for me but they usually heal up but seem to take a long time to do so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had ulcers on my ankle, leg, and finger; all took a bit over six weeks to heal. I had to check in with nurses and physicians to make sure they were healing. It is frightening to watch the necrotizing flesh. All did eventually, leaving scars.