User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appeal for disability denied -- what to do next?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard from friends in my benefits department that working with the state agencies is often more difficult than the counterpart federal agencies. So I wouldn't be completely shocked if SS approves without argument.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    I've heard from friends in my benefits department that working with the state agencies is often more difficult than the counterpart federal agencies. So I wouldn't be completely shocked if SS approves without argument.
    Social Security used to be more stringent for disability since their requirements were too disabled for any gainful employment. Other policies often were defined as inability to do your regular type of work which was often easier to prove.

Lately though the rumor is that SS has been used as a type of welfare for people were just didn't want to work or never had worked because it was too hard to work and SS was apparently much easier to get than before. They had some TV shows showing the waiting room for applicants and interviews with them but these were intended to show abuse of SS disability system and may like most news been slanted by political views.

Generally most policies also require you to apply for SS disability too as they often link their benefits and payments. Might as well do both at same time.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good points -- VRS requires me to apply for SSDI at the same time I applied with them. Their benefits are higher if SSDI is denied and adjusted lower if SSDI is approved. So they want their members to get SSDI so their payout is reduced! I have begun the steps to locate a disability lawyer ...

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little update -- I've heard by email from a prospective disability lawyer. I gave him a very brief overview of my case. He says "the question is whether the WG can be shown and definitively proven to be permanent. If there are therapeutic measures you could undertake which would ameliorate your symptoms to the point you could function in your job, you cannot succeed without this. It would take an enormous amount of cooperation and help by your doctors." Sounds like an uphill battle and perhaps one he isn't willing to climb with me. Thoughts??

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    A little update -- I've heard by email from a prospective disability lawyer. I gave him a very brief overview of my case. He says "the question is whether the WG can be shown and definitively proven to be permanent. If there are therapeutic measures you could undertake which would ameliorate your symptoms to the point you could function in your job, you cannot succeed without this. It would take an enormous amount of cooperation and help by your doctors." Sounds like an uphill battle and perhaps one he isn't willing to climb with me. Thoughts??

KB
    Agree that your docs need to document and submit evidence that you are unable to perform functions you need to do your job, i.e. standing for x amount of time, walking, lifting etc. exposure to the public when you are immuno-suppressed etc. I think that this attorney like most doctors has no clue what wegener's is. Perhaps if you responded by sending him a fact sheet from Vasculitis foundation, John Hopkins, Mayo etc. that clearly says that wegner's is un-curable that might help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You might also want to pursue the randomness of flares angle. You may be feeling good one day and have a flare the next. Stuff just happens sometimes.

Good luck!!
    Pete
    dx 1/11

"Every day is a good day. Some are better than others." - unknown

"Take your meds as directed and live your life as fully as you can." - Michael Chacey, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was denied 3 times last time ss said if i can move my arms and walk ten feet unimbated i can work i lost almost everything did not work for more than a year dr said i will get better then presto started feeling better now back to work for now also ss said i was under 50 so i can be reeducated , good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post

KB
    Other attorneys might have a different viewpoint so keep searching. Also what does your policy say about disability and length of time. Many policies have provision for short term disability which requires you to be re-assess at certain time intervals. Many medical issues can cause a disability that will prevent either any full time employment for a short period of time like several months or on along term basis. In these cases you might be found partially disabled and get a portion of full benefits or full benefits for a short time. These benefits are often linked to your earnings or ability to do regular job. Good luck. If you get SS disability the other ought to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wegener's is actually not curable it is a total and permanent disability. Coupled with the RA it can affect all joints as well. I wake up in the morning and I go" okay whats not working today". Wegene'rs is a full time job just trying to manage it. Just because your okay one day does not
    mean you can be okay the next. It is also termed a chronic illness. What part of that dont they get.This illness is the most unusual and a difficult one to explain to anybody.
    Im sure they will eventually understand, baffle them with lots of information on the illness
    cheers Col 23

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with your fight. I was denied 2 times and had two hearings at the SSD office in front of the judge. It took a total of 2 years to finally get a favorable approval. I would highly recommend that you contact a Lawyer that specializes in SSD. They know all the in and outs of the system and how it works. Your appeal hearing is your best chance to get a favorable approval, you def. don't want to handle this by yourself. Most of the Disability lawyers will only take a percentage of your back pay and only if you win. You should search online or in the phone book for local disability lawyers to possibly take your case, and you could check with Allsup. I know that a few people that have gone with them and had positive results. Again good luck going forward, and if you have any questions for me I would be more then happy to help you out with anything that I can. God bless!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast