I hear your anxiety and confusion with the VA!!! Unfortuneatley even Social Security Disability does not even know about WG and how deadly and dibiltating it can be and how rare.
I just know that I was told only a person in renal end stage and lou gerrick didsease is on their list. I contacted my congressman to intercede(pick one that does stuff ofr support of soldiers. A lawyer has no effect on the decision of disability or VA disability they only try to present your case with legal terms that make your case sound serious enough and actually in reality it worse!!!
Look what's happening with PTSD for soldiers it depends on the Commander really and how sensitive he/she is to you and your situation.
Your husband may want to see a psychiatrist with complaints of finding out he has wg and it has overwhelmed his emotional and daily functioning and go that route.
Because ther is no know cause or how we got WG you can't blame the service or where he was located. I f he become diagnosed with depression due to his Nav y experiences so far he may be able to fight for a disabilty discharge and a big monthly payment.
I had a few client's when I was a Clinician that got discharged after only being in for 6 months with Depression, and other psych diagnosis and recieve full free benefits and 2x what i get from SSD.
Its going to be how you two present your case to the Navy. There can not be any doubts of circumstance.
My ex husband had agent orange and never got what was suppose to come to him. He still lives today with these active eating gouges in his skin, he became sterile and his first and only daughter(pre. marriage) had all kinds of disabilites.
Hope this helps
Judi