Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
Today was the first day back to school and the very first time I haven't been involved in education since I was 6 years old! My husband, too. (He has now retired from being a high school principal.). So we have focused on the excitement of our grandkids getting back to school. I found myself texting all my colleagues this morning wishing them a "Happy New Year!"
KB, I've been out of education for, whew, 10 years now. I was healthy then, other circumstances dictated my leaving then, I was lucky to retire fairly early, especially now with the onset of WG. Anyway, I, too, called and emailed friends still in the business the first couple of years, got some responses, some even came and visited here in the desert (nice relief for them from the gloom of Oregon mist!). Even drove back to Oregon, visited the old high school I last worked in for 20 years, saw old friends. But things were changing already...whence I next visited the school, I knew less of the staff...then about 5 years after, I made one more visit...I knew exactly 5 people on staff. Haven't been back since, but I do keep in touch with the closest of those friends although a couple have died already. It's ever changing as you well know, but it's a shock once one realizes that it does/did change and they went on without me!! How dare they! LOL! Anyway, glad you're in that 'happy' mode, good place to be. Hope your appt went well. Don