Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wegs and being in close proximity to a recently vaccinated child

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wegs and being in close proximity to a recently vaccinated child

I probably need to call Dr. Langford and ask about this, but just checking to see if anyone knows.

When I first got sick, the rheumy I saw in Spokane told me I should not be around anyone that had had a live vaccine (varicella for chicken pox, MMR, flu mist, etc.) My older children all had their vaccinations, but my youngest still needs the varicella and MMR. If I am currently in medical remission, but still on Cellcept, can he get that vaccine? I don't think I can avoid my six year old for very long

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ArlaMo View Post
    I probably need to call Dr. Langford and ask about this, but just checking to see if anyone knows.

When I first got sick, the rheumy I saw in Spokane told me I should not be around anyone that had had a live vaccine (varicella for chicken pox, MMR, flu mist, etc.) My older children all had their vaccinations, but my youngest still needs the varicella and MMR. If I am currently in medical remission, but still on Cellcept, can he get that vaccine? I don't think I can avoid my six year old for very long
    Let us know what doctors say. It might partly depend upon how your lab work looks too in terms of how weak is your immune system. How they assess your risk will be interesting info for us all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ArlaMo, if you're on cellcept you're still immune-compromised. Cellcept wipes out the B cells, which make antibodies. I don't know how long the vaccines will cause him to shed live virus, but I would limit close contact as much as possible. Maybe it's time for mommy to get a bit of vacation time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's kind of what I was thinking, Sangye.

My local docs have been trying to reach Dr. Langford for a couple weeks without luck. Hard to have a good long distance patient relationship.

The varicella is not a huge deal in my eyes...except that I had chicken pox as a child and have not had (can't have) the shingles vaccine. MMR is a little more concerning to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Varicella is a big deal. Being on Cellcept might have wiped out your antibody history. All 4 are a big deal because any infection can trigger Wegs, in addition to the trouble the infection itself can cause.

Can you call Dr Langford yourself? Is she your doctor or do your doctors just consult with her?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I flew out and saw her last year and she put together a treatment plan which she forwarded to my docs here. I have not been back yet - life is crazy busy with my six kids and it was really hard to get out there. Worth it, yes, but a huge production to get it all coordinated. I'll try to get thru to her - both my internist and my nephro have been trying to reach her, but no return call for almost three weeks...

I'm actually looking into being seen at the Salt Lake Vasculitis Center. Much more accessible for me, plus my daughter is starting her freshman year in Utah next week. I'd love another excuse to visit . They are scheduling waaaaay out though, so not sure when I'll get an appointment. I'm feeling pretty good right now and I grew up NEVER going to the doctor, so it is hard to want to go when nothing is really going on. Logically, I know I have to keep a very close eye on things, but I have been letting my life outside of Wegeners take precedence.

And yes, I know any infection could be a HUGE problem for me. I was thinking in terms of my son. If HE got chicken pox, most likely not that big of deal for him but potentially big problems for me. But measles, mumps, rubella could be a big issue for him if he were ever exposed. UGH! Wish he had been all done with shots when I got sick.

Is there a way to test for antibody history? Is that something I should consider doing? Not something I had ever thought of...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there a way to test for antibody history? Is that something I should consider doing? Not something I had ever thought of...
    I believe they do have tests to check for antibodies. I was at a family reunion this year with a brother who had shingles. I checked it with my ID doc who had me tested to see if I had the Chx Pox virus antibodies...so I know that they at least have a test for that particular antibody. I would assume they have it for others as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's kind of what I was thinking, Sangye.

My local docs have been trying to reach Dr. Langford for a couple weeks without luck. Hard to have a good long distance patient relationship.

The varicella is not a huge deal in my eyes...except that I had chicken pox as a child and have not had (can't have) the shingles vaccine. MMR is a little more concerning to me.
    Do whatever it takes to stay away from getting shingles, I had shingles from end of February until April and I still have a lot of pain and very ugly scarring in the C6 and C7 dermatones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can do titers for antibodies, though your insurance is not likely to cover it. Also, since cellcept is continually wiping out B cell populations you might have an antibody today but not next month. Not much is known about antibody histories as it is, much less when you introduce immune-suppressants that specifically target B cells.

Measles, mumps and rubella are not problematic at all in an otherwise healthy child. Whether or not you vaccinate you still need to support the child's immune system. In my practice most of the parents did not vaccinate their children and not a single one of my pediatric patients had a complication to illness. Most childhood vaccinations were created to save parents from having to take time off work to care for a sick child, not because the diseases were dangerous.

BTW, not only did I survive measles as a child without the slightest problem, but I'm an example of vaccine failure. I had a live measles vaccine, then got full-blown measles about a year later. Despite the fact that I had a documented case of measles giving me lifetime immunity, my elementary school forced me to have another measles vaccine. And another. How idiotic is THAT?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate it when we are forced to have these vaccines. I had no choice but to get those vaccines when I had the cochlear implant surgery. My doc is certain many of my problems now are because of those vaccines.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast