Thread: News of our beloved Al -- sent from his wife, Eileen

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default News of our beloved Al -- sent from his wife, Eileen

Today I received an email from Al's wife, Eileen, with devastating news...please see below:

My heart is breaking as I write to tell you that Al died Tuesday after a swift, massive, lethal infection hit him Sunday afternoon. ICU drs did everything they could--full life support and then some (giving sometimes more than maximum doses). They could not get ahead of the infection.

If you could please handle the process of full notification of the Wegener's online community, I would be so grateful. Our hands are so full with the arrangements which follow a death.

I also was wondering if you or someone else in the community would write a short piece to be read at his memorial service. It was clear to me that Al was helpful to many people. Some words from you would be so appropriate at the service.

I hope that your own situation will have a positive outcome and I wish you all the best in your dispute. I know Al would have continued to do whatever he could to help you. Working on what he sent to you was the last thing he did on Saturday.

With thanks to you and the whole W's community for embracing Al as he fought his battle with Wegener's,

Eileen Swanson (Mrs Al)

I had written Al for his wisdom and knowledge as I am working through denial for disability in our Virginia Retirement System. His words were comforting and rang true -- now more than ever. WG is always knocking at the door. I trust he has found the panacea we all hope to achieve as our life ends. He was such an inspiration. Our WG community has lost a dear friend. Does anyone live near Al? Would someone like to honor him with words from our WG community at his funeral as Eileen as requested? I'm not sure what to do next ...just so incredibly grateful for Al's friendship.

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am sitting here at my desk in utter shock. I just ordered one of the books that Al recommended from his vacation for my Kindle and I was looking forward to dialoguing with him. I am reminded at how fragile we all are because of our disease. I am hearing Jack's voice in my head telling me how sneaky Wegs is. I know that I will write more later when I have time to really come to grips with this news. To Eileen, thank you so much for sharing Al with all of us, I remember outing him as a teddy bear rather than a grouch. I believe that he would have given anything to any one of us to make our journey more bearable. Please let us know what we can do to make your sad journey more bearable. Al, I honor that place within you that guided us and gave us honor, light and knowledge. Godspeed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eileen, my heart and consolations go out to you and yours in this time. Al, god speed my friend, and thank you for all that you've done...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm sat here with tears in my eyes in a state of shock.we are all aware of how unpredictable this disease can be but this has shook me to my core.my heart goes out to the family and friends at such a sad loss.i don't know what to say as i can't take this in.
    john.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my goodness! I was wondering where Al was. This is so sad.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An email from Phil alerted me to this news just now. Like all of you, I just can't believe it. How utterly heartbreaking to lose a good friend. My condolences to you and Al's family, Eileen. Please know that Al was very much loved in our group. He brought comfort to many members and helped educate others. I will keep Al in my prayers.

Has someone let Andrew know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just sent a message to Andrew.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, what a shock.... I haven't even read all the replies yet before writing this. This makes me so very sad. To answer your question, Kathy, there are a few of us who live in Al's state, including me, and I actually met him about 5 weeks ago, as I reported on the forum. I know he had communicated a fair amount with Kirk (me2) who lives near me. Also, Jolanta lives in BC but probably closest to Al of all, geographically. My heart goes out to Eileen and their kids, and the new expected grandchild. I'm not sure how I can help any more than anyone else can, but am open to any possibilities. I think the idea of someone here writing something to be read at his memorial is a great one, and I can think of several articulate and caring people who could, particularly the ones who had established a special rapport with him. A lot of his scientific and philosophical talk was a bit over my head, but I think there are others who were a little more on par with him intellectually. Of course that isn't to say he always talked that way; he gave plenty of everyday sensible advice to many of us, backed by his knowledge, and dispensed in plain English, with humor whenever it was fitting. His caring for all of us was always evident.

I need to let this sink in, and will check back later. I hope you are reading these posts, Eileen, or will do so when you are ready, and will share anything you want whenever you are ready to. I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you when I met Al.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That's a complete shock. So sudden. We've lost a great contributor to this group. Thanks Al for being you.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is appropriate or not, sheds light or not, but this quote is part of a PM I'd been sharing with Al just 2 weeks ago:

"...I hope I am not going the other direction. Might just be the heat (80 degrees), but I find it hard to do anything these days..."

Sighs...wipes tears away...love ya all...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast