User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: alternative therapies for joint problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default alternative therapies for joint problems?

Hi everyone!

I have been having major problems with joint pains recently and I'm trying to find different options for alternative treatments. I don't want to go back on pred as it will just mask the joint pains until I stop and also earlier this summer I did a short course of pred and it did nothing at all to stop the joint pain, I also don't want to keep taking painkillers. I was given tramadol recently and it doesn't really ease the pain but makes my head feel a bit... funny! Almost like I'm drunk, even if it doesn't deal with the pain it helps me deal with it and helps me sleep but it's not really ideal to take tramadol just for that...

I am trying to get an earlier appointment with my Rheumy but she's going on a one year sabatical and the new doctor seems fully booked atm.
    I want to discuss other options, like reflexology, accupuncture etc and especially physiotherapy and hydrotherapy.

Does anyone here have any experience in hydro/physiotheraphy or any other alternative methods of pain managment and joint/arthritis treatment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Malin!
    Swimming and physiotherapy both relieve my joint pain quite a bit.
    My Weg's doc prescribed me a painkiller called Arcoxia, but I haven't used it yet.
    Incidentically I take Ibuprofen, but just like you, I am no fan of taking painkillers on a regular base, because of the side effects.
    I have not tried reflexology or acupuncure yet, but might do that in the future.
    I hope you 'll get some other replies from 'experienced Weggies'
    Good luck with making a new appointment with a rheumy soon...
    Living with WG/GPA since june 2010...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Malin, if you're having "major" pain then you must assume it's Wegener's unless it's been ruled out.

Swimming or just exercising in the pool is a great way to exercise without hurting yourself, but it's not going to help with pain if it's due to active Wegs. Acupuncture is great, but you have to find a skilled acupuncturist who will not overstimulate the immune system. After being treated successfully by a doctor of acupuncture for 2.5 years, I had another doctor of acupuncture treat me. I explained the limits of stimulating the immune system, she indicated that she understood, placed needles and within a few minutes afterwards I began to feel awful. As I was resting she told me she had given my immune system a nice big jolt. The next day I wound up in the ER with hemorrhaging lungs. Acupuncture is powerful. Unfortunately suppressing the immune system is completely unnatural.

Christina, Weggies should not take ibuprofen. It can easily destroy the gut lining or cause GI bleeding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WOW! I had no idea that acupuncture is that powerful.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003