Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A question for the experts...common colds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you feel better soon, Marta. Oregano is also a great herb to wipe out malaria!

I'm really dragging today. I felt better yesterday. I might not have eaten enough protein, though. I gotta go grocery shopping today (no idea how I'm gonna pull that off) and I'm gonna get a big burger while I'm out. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hope you feel better soon Marta. I've missed you!

I feel so bad in the mornings - sinuses hurt, congested, mucus in my throat and wind pipe so makes it harder to breathe. I feel better after a few paracetamols but I think I will be naughty and play with the decongestants today!

Hope you feel better after your burger sangye! I'm having a burger today too.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    Must be the week for Weggie colds. I too have one and am feeling much like you Sam. I've got the cough, completely wasted for energy , sinuses are stuffed and yes my previously unplugged by Magical Maui eustachian tubes are now plugged up again (so my hearing sucks yet again). I am pretty certain that it's just a cold though and am vigilant about the virus opening me up for a bacterial infection. I do have antibiotics that I keep 'just in case' and am still taking the Dapsone daily to prevent the PCP pneumonia, so I think I'm doing OK. I've also taken 1000mg vitamin C and also my own private magic pill - oregano. It's quite amazing actually because it doesn't boost the immune system but attacks viruses, bacteria and fungal infections directly. Two in the morning and two at night and things move along much faster. I was so stuffed the other day that I did take a decongestant and it seemed to do the trick with only one pill. I'm at 4.5 mg of pred and am so NOT into going anywhere near those high doses again for a long time.

Take care of yourself Sam and Sangye. I've been absent from all things computer - no blogs, no forum, no facebook... just wanted to let you know that I'm not specifically staying off here. Life is busy with a stay at home 5 year old who happens to be a handful. I'm also super low energy from the low pred but I know this too shall pass. I do think about you guys plenty though, you're always in my heart and in my non religious prayers.
    Glad you checked in, Marta--I was getting a bit concerned. I do understand about the energy level, of course. But it has been a long time, perhaps a depressingly long time, since I've had to chase around a 5 year old....

Just to reiterate my own stance: The phrase "just a cold" sets off serious alarm bells for me. So any hint of same sends me straight to the kitchen to make something with plenty of garlic (which also attacks infections directly), ginger, and--wouldn't you know it--oregano. As I recall, you weren't so keen on my garlic soup recipe; maybe all it needed was the addition of some Italian herbs....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    Hope you feel better soon Marta. I've missed you!

I feel so bad in the mornings - sinuses hurt, congested, mucus in my throat and wind pipe so makes it harder to breathe. I feel better after a few paracetamols but I think I will be naughty and play with the decongestants today!

Hope you feel better after your burger sangye! I'm having a burger today too.
    Have you called in to Adds, Sam? And I'd go easy on the acetominophen. (Remember the discussion we had a while back about how easy it is to overdose on the stuff and blast the poor liver?) On the other hand, high-protein comfort food, however you define it, is pretty good medicine....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't called Adds as I'm feeling better today. Not 100% but starting to think this was a virus and not just a common cold.

I've had 3 decongestant tablets today and starting to feel a bit looser as my sinuses have been very painful today - to the point of me getting tooth and facial pain.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you get your vitamin D levels checked regularly? I had run out of D last week and put off ordering more online. Sure enough, after several days of missing it I got sick. When it arrived in the mail yesterday I took 2.5 days' worth and within a couple hours I felt better. No cold symptoms today and I don't have that intense weakness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would not live without my vitamin D.

Speaking of pred tapers and herbs I was talking with a fellow yesterday at the pharmacy that is tapering pred. He is taking curcumin to help get the andrenals back in shape. He just started it so he is not sure if it will help or not. One of his docs mentioned it to him. He has MS.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't called Adds as I'm feeling better today. Not 100% but starting to think this was a virus and not just a common cold.

I've had 3 decongestant tablets today and starting to feel a bit looser as my sinuses have been very painful today - to the point of me getting tooth and facial pain.
    For the record, Sam, a "common cold" is, in fact, a viral infection. it can be one or more of many viruses, but usually it is a rhinovirus. The human immune system knows this bug quite well, so generally deals dispatches it relatively quickly.

But here are my concerns: 1) All viruses evolve very quickly, so just because the immune system knows this one does not mean that it knows how to deal with its descendents. 2) For those who have had their immune systems suppressed, responses may be rather anemic. Moreover, the sluggish immune system response, along with the generally weakened body, may allow opportunistic bugs (viruses, bacteria, and fungi) to gain a foothold. And, the big one: 3) Even when the immune system responds quickly and appropriately, this is not necessarily a good thing for a Weggie. Any IS response can trigger a flare. After all, a WG flare is precisely an immune response that goes too far.

Again, I say that colds are, with Weggies, nothing to sneeze at. I always take very aggressive action if I sense a cold--or any other infection.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, today is Sunday and I've woken up with Zero energy, sinus pain around my left eye and dizziness. Scared and upset cos I feel like I have less energy than when I was anaemic.

I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow but I dunno what to do. Do I go in or stay off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm supposed to go back to work tomorrow but I dunno what to do. Do I go in or stay off.
    Well, what kept you out of work in the first place...think about it. Making a living OR living better? If you feel like that, I'd head to the doc...but...good luck kiddo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast