Thread: A question for the experts...common colds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A question for the experts...common colds

Hi Guys.

I am currently experiencing my first cold of the year (and its summer!).

I just wanted to ask as i am unsure but does the wegs/ pred affect the way we fight off common colds etc? I am down to 3mg of pred now and had 3 rounds of RTX.

This cold seems to have taken its time developing as i've had a sore throat for 3 days but only now have the dry cough and runny nose kicked in - plus i'm still having hot and cold flushes.

I have been taking Paracetamol, manuka honey for the past few days and a bit of cough syrup today as its the only thing that stops me coughing.

At christmas time i had a cold which i worked through and then 2 weeks alter another one hit so i'm kinda worried the same will happen again and is this likely?

Sniff, cough, runny nose, sniff sniff.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The medications we take for Wegeners are immuno-suppressants so yes it will affect the way your body fights off any number of things. Stay on top of it and make sure that it doesn't develop into pneumonia of which I fought a bought a few months ago. Washing your hands and sterilizing everything is very important for Weg's patients and it is to keep us from developing these things by minimizing our exposure.

Be diligent!

GL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sam,

My rheumy said that if it is just a cold, get to your GP just to make sure, and also (as Gunny says) so you can stay on top of it.
    However, if you start coughing up muck (of any colour) go to A&E, tell them your health situation.......because it can easily turn to pneumonia.

I hope it doesn't linger too long.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its now day 4 of my cold and woke up at 2am with a coughing fit. Still having hot flushes and my throat still hurts. Guess a visit to the GP wouldn't hurt.
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GP says that although my throat looks inflamed she doesn't want to give me antibiotics in case it isn't an infection and to just 'ride it out'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    GP says that although my throat looks inflamed she doesn't want to give me antibiotics in case it isn't an infection and to just 'ride it out'
    I caught bronchitis, panicked, called rheumy, she sent me back to my internist (GP), he said the same as yours, but did give me antibiotics and a timeline: if the bronchitis didn't start to clear on its own in so many days then take the anitbiotics...it didn't, I did take them, it then cleared in about 4-5 days. But, 'riding it out' isn't a bad thing...both docs told me same thing inasmuch as I can catch colds just like anyone else, and certainly should be wary, but not to panic each and every time...hehe...I'm learning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple of points, Sam. First, antibiotics do nothing for a cold, since antibiotics work only on bacteria (when they do), but a cold is a virus. Secondly, I am leery of "just a cold" for Weggies. With a suppressed immune system, any infection can go to the lungs quickly. Plus, in all cases, infections bring about an immune response, as they should. But immune responses are precisely what WG is all about. Your body has no way of knowing whether that response is appropriate or not. My own suggestion is to report your concerns to your Wegs doc, who knows your history. (This is especially true if there is fever, weight loss, or if the infection does not resolve in a timely matter.) In the meantime, get some quality rest!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info guys.

Al - the GP said my lungs were clear so I'm happy with that.

Even with my weaken immune system colds with me don't usually take this long to clear but maybe that's just a sign I'm getting older.

Did I mention I was dizzy too? If I'm not feeling any better by friday I may ring adds. Better ask the experts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a cold this week, too. It's mostly just making me really weak. I've had a few colds while being immunosuppressed, including one that I got during my rtx treatment last year. In general you'll do well by taking 2,000 mg vitamin C a day, resting and just letting it run its course. If you're still having fevers and chills after a few days call your doc. If your chest feels tight or heavy, call your doc. Otherwise it's likely just a cold virus and may take longer than usual clearing out.

You may be feeling dizzy if it's affecting your inner ear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Must be the week for Weggie colds. I too have one and am feeling much like you Sam. I've got the cough, completely wasted for energy , sinuses are stuffed and yes my previously unplugged by Magical Maui eustachian tubes are now plugged up again (so my hearing sucks yet again). I am pretty certain that it's just a cold though and am vigilant about the virus opening me up for a bacterial infection. I do have antibiotics that I keep 'just in case' and am still taking the Dapsone daily to prevent the PCP pneumonia, so I think I'm doing OK. I've also taken 1000mg vitamin C and also my own private magic pill - oregano. It's quite amazing actually because it doesn't boost the immune system but attacks viruses, bacteria and fungal infections directly. Two in the morning and two at night and things move along much faster. I was so stuffed the other day that I did take a decongestant and it seemed to do the trick with only one pill. I'm at 4.5 mg of pred and am so NOT into going anywhere near those high doses again for a long time.

Take care of yourself Sam and Sangye. I've been absent from all things computer - no blogs, no forum, no facebook... just wanted to let you know that I'm not specifically staying off here. Life is busy with a stay at home 5 year old who happens to be a handful. I'm also super low energy from the low pred but I know this too shall pass. I do think about you guys plenty though, you're always in my heart and in my non religious prayers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast