Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DNA Study for WG Patients-Blood Donations Needed

DNA Study for WG Patients

Blood Donations Needed

The goal of Dr. Katherine Siminovitch’s study: ‘Identification of Novel Wegener’s Granulomatosis Susceptibility Genes’ is to identify the genes that confer risk for Wegener’s (WG). Results of this study have already confirmed the association of WG with several genes. While we are continuing to assess other genes for their relevance to WG, samples from more WG patients are required to provide the sensitivity required to identify such genes.

It is easy to participate in this study. Patients who enroll in the study will be asked to complete a few forms relating to their clinical symptoms and will be sent materials allowing for a blood sample to be drawn at their doctor’s office or laboratory and shipped to Dr. Siminovitch.

Identification of WG susceptibility genes provides a promising avenue towards development of improved diagnostic and prognostic tests, as well as new targets for therapeutic management.

All WG patients are eligible for the study, regardless of geographic location, age, and gender.

To learn more about this study, please contact:
    Research Coordinator: Jennifer Campbell
    Phone: 416-946-4501 x3297
    [email protected]

Mount SinaiHospital
    Room 778D
    600 University Avenue
    Toronto, Ontario
    M5G 1X5
    Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did this study a few months ago. Very easy. They send a box with everything you'll need. Fill out a couple forms, get blood drawn (tubes provided) and ship it back, postage pre-paid.

If family members can participate, their blood sample is needed, too. But if they can't (or for those without immediate blood-relatives), they also need "singletons" to participate.

Here's their abstract-- very interesting description of the state of Wegs gene research and what this study hopes to accomplish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did it too, you can get your blood taken in the provided tubes the same time you get your regular blood check up, my lab also packaged and sent it to the study lab. Its all prepaid.
    Jolanta

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So did I. I found this group much more responsive to inquiries that JHU in the U.S.

Rodger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to know, we do seem a friendly bunch don't we. (well just don't pay to much attention to all the tomatoe flings, bunny ear-ing events and duck when one flies at ya)
    Jolanta