Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Web site performance possible cause

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Web site performance possible cause

I have tried to find any patterns that might help isolate some of the web site problems and I think I found one. I can usually connect and open messages that are short threads, but the system bombs out on threads that have been going on for a very long time. There are 3 or 4 threads that are exceptionally long.

I think we should abandon the long threads (say those over a 100 responses) and start new ones.

Some forum softwear allows thread lengths to be limited in size. I'm not sure if this softwear does or not, but we can certainly test the theory on our own. As I think about it, it does make sense that the server and softwear would really struggle to index and retrieve the long threads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your reasoning is definitely possible. My problems occur during the morning hours (I'm in US mountain time zone), when I can't connect at all, which I blame on my ISP or other layers between me and the servers. It is so bad I don't even try anymore to get in during the morning hours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RudiK View Post
    Your reasoning is definitely possible. My problems occur during the morning hours (I'm in US mountain time zone), when I can't connect at all, which I blame on my ISP or other layers between me and the servers. It is so bad I don't even try anymore to get in during the morning hours.
    I'm in AZ, same time zone essentially...have same morning problem, but usually can get in after going to another site, then back again. I believe it is the servers this site resides on...they get 'choked' at times especially if the server can't carry enough bytes at once, and that depends on who they are tied into for 'worldwide' connections. It's not my ISP as I can get on most anything else at that time, has to be theirs...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Hi VDub can you please:
    1. Open a DOS prompt and send me the results of: tracert www.wegeners-granulomataosis.com
    2. Clear cache and cookies in your browser
    3. Open a DOS prompt and send me the results of: tracert www.wegeners-granulomataosis.com
    4. See if by some fluke of nature that the threads open up for you

Thanks man!

There's no way to set length of threads in VBulletin. They usually don't start getting crazy until about 10,000 posts in one thread. We're a way of that but can split that Everest one or start a new one and see if it makes a difference.
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.
    Currently but not permanetly residing in Canberra, Australia.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't see how long threads could be the problem since I can open them without a hitch. I have no problem loading the website or getting it to work at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got them in order below. First, trace, then clear cache, second trace. Notice the 66. IP was really long, so did a ping on it. Then did another trace, which was ok. I wonder if putting crudd.net in my hosts file would help?

wg before cache clear.jpg

wg ping.jpg

wg second trace.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The site just choked on me again when opening up the Doctors -- Sydney thread. All I got was a white screen and spinning circle, so I did a tracert and it was just fine. After the tracert was done, IE was still spinning away with no results, but no error either. Kind of weird. I closed down and reconnected with no problem.

wg choked.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Yo've got some kinky IP addresses in there Yes good idea. If you can add crudd.net to your hosts file and see how it goes? Hopefully you didn't yet because by your second post that would mean it didn't work
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't added it yet. I uploaded a video of what is happening in addition to sometimes not even being able to find the site. It's a wmv so 78Mb. I can change it to a flash, but I loose a lot of detail.

It's located here http://www.wasem.com/wg/wegs-site.wmv

I'm not sure if others have this problem or not, but you can see that I'm logged on and no problem, go to a message and it won't load. So, go back to forum, try again on different message and same response. Go back in and the third message loads -- go figure. Restart IE and same thing happens.... Really strange....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thanks man. The WMV will be fine I'll download it when I get home in about 12 hours or so. Do you get the same problem with Firefox or Chrome?
    Forum Administrator
    Diagnosed March 2003.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast