User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone Okay With Heatwave & Power Outages?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Everyone Okay With Heatwave & Power Outages?

Our area was hit by that giant derecho storm last week while temps were over 100, and most everyone lost power for many days. My neighborhood was one of the very few that didn't sustain the least bit of damage or lose power at all. Thankfully I had A/C the whole time, though my car fan died and I couldn't go anywhere because it was so hot out.

Everyone I knew was in bad shape. Our temple lost power for many days but we managed to keep the 24-hr prayer vigil going despite temps in the prayer room over 100 degrees. Everything outside of our neighborhood looked like a bomb went off. Huge trees split apart, everywhere. There are still parts of Maryland without power and with downed trees blocking streets. About 2 days into it, our governor tweeted that repair crews were driving from Texas. DRIVING!! LOL

Before this storm none of us knew what a derecho was, and now every time we've gotten another severe thunderstorm warning we all get pretty worried.

The storm affected so many states at once. I hope no one here was harmed and didn't lose power.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, thanks for filling us in on all of that... guess I haven't been paying much attention to the weather across the nation. I certainly had never heard the word "derecho", either. I'm glad your neighborhood was OK but sorry about all the damage and outages, not to mention the discomfort and frayed nerves.... Lets hope things settle down and get back to normal.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's 104 here in WA right now. It's supposed to be 105 tomorrow. I think it's cooler on the coast tho. We had terrific hail and wind storms a couple nights ago, but I don't think any crops were damages. So far, the electric has been very steady and no problems. Certainly nothing like the problems in the northeast.

I feel bad for all those folks without power in this type of heat. I think if that happened here, I'd get in my RV and head for Swift Current and see Phil or maybe go way north and see Marta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    It's 104 here in WA right now. It's supposed to be 105 tomorrow. I think it's cooler on the coast tho.
    Yeah, its more like in the high 70's to mid 80's in the Puget Sound area and is supposed to be for the next week or so. There's been a bit of humidity along with the heat, but nothing like what those of you east of the Mississippi get, I'm sure.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Wow, thanks for filling us in on all of that... guess I haven't been paying much attention to the weather across the nation. I certainly had never heard the word "derecho", either. I'm glad your neighborhood was OK but sorry about all the damage and outages, not to mention the discomfort and frayed nerves.... Lets hope things settle down and get back to normal.
    They say a derecho is like a land hurricane without any warning. Basically it's a pile of multiple severe storms that converge all at once and form a huge, fast-moving storm with extreme high winds.

After it hit, there were 2.1 million people left without power, across several states. The main electricity provider here (Pepco) said 50% of its service went down, affecting almost all of Maryland and other states they serve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today is the first day of "cooler" temperatures-- upper 80's-- in over a week. Most days it was 100-plus with east coast humidity. I'd step outside and just could not believe how hot it was! And I lived in Arizona for 11 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Today is the first day of "cooler" temperatures-- upper 80's-- in over a week. Most days it was 100-plus with east coast humidity. I'd step outside and just could not believe how hot it was! And I lived in Arizona for 11 years.
    You say 'derecho', I say 'haboob'...LMAO! It's only 111 here today, not bad...about 7% humidity! Already practiced and worked out this morning...not going out again! My best to you 'East coasters'...stay dry...oh, did I say that??????? LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well here in the sunny south-east of England today was a really hot 64 degrees and tomorrow promises to hit an high of 62. But the good news is the hose pipe ban has now been lifted, a pity about all the homes that were ruined by floods ........... water shortage? Come on pull the othert one its got bells on it.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    You say 'derecho', I say 'haboob'...
    From Wikipedia:
    A derecho is a widespread, long-lived, straight-line windstorm that is associated with a fast-moving band of severe thunderstorms. Generally, derechos are convection-inducedand take on a bow echo form of squall line, forming in an area of divergence in the upper levels of the troposphere, within a region of low-level warm air advection and rich low-level moisture. They travel quickly in the direction of movement of their associated storms, similar to an outflow boundary (gust front), except that the wind is sustained and increases in strength behind the front, generally exceeding hurricane-force

The huge storm that hit us even has its own Wikipedia page
    June 2012 North American derecho - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    According to the article, this derecho "was one of the most destructive and deadly fast-moving severe thunderstorms in North American history."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Similar, but I'll take the 'haboob' anyday, an Arabic term used in the media for desert sandstorms of huge proportions - here in the AZ desert they are sometimes over 1000 ft. high & 60 mis. wide, and swallow everything in sight, sometimes followed by thunder, lightning, and, hopefully, rain...they can lead up to monsoon seasons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast