Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone and loopy eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well got to the Eye Doctor yesterday. I have developed a cataract in my right eye. He also noted a small scar on the retina that wasn't noted two years ago. He wants to see me every 6 months now. So...pred has worked that bit of magic for me I spent the evening making blind in one eye and can't see out the other jokes. They have me going to get a retina scan tomorrow to make sure what's up with the scar, he's concerned that it might be causing part of my vision issues.

As a side note after bumping back up to 25mg of pred the headaches are considerably reduced. I think I was being way to aggressive on the taper. Going to slow it to 2.5 every two weeks instead of 5 every week...which was caving my head in Given what you are saying Sangye I think you are correct, it did feel like massive pressure in my head. I feel much better at the resumed 25mg dosage.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Psyborg View Post
    Well got to the Eye Doctor yesterday. I have developed a cataract in my right eye. He also noted a small scar on the retina that wasn't noted two years ago. He wants to see me every 6 months now. So...pred has worked that bit of magic for me I spent the evening making blind in one eye and can't see out the other jokes. They have me going to get a retina scan tomorrow to make sure what's up with the scar, he's concerned that it might be causing part of my vision issues.

As a side note after bumping back up to 25mg of pred the headaches are considerably reduced. I think I was being way to aggressive on the taper. Going to slow it to 2.5 every two weeks instead of 5 every week...which was caving my head in Given what you are saying Sangye I think you are correct, it did feel like massive pressure in my head. I feel much better at the resumed 25mg dosage.
    Sorry about the cataract, Bob, and other eye issues. Reminds me I should see an eye doctor but will have to choose one carefully.

As for the pred taper, 5mg per week sounds awfully fast indeed! Of course, I would never have known that before getting Wegs and reading this forum, even though I'd had some experience with pred. I also wasn't aware of the intracranial pressure thing until recently reading posts from Sangye and now this one from you. All this is helpful info for when I start to taper from the 10mg. that I've been at for awhile now.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of those fine things about pred they sort of neglect emphasizing. As it happens, cataracts happen for most of us anyway, it's just that pred speeds up the process considerably. (It doesn't help that there are other environmental insults to the eyes, such as more ultraviolet light from less atmospheric ozone in the temperate zones, and the fact that. like the proverbial Englishmen and mad dogs, more people are out and about, rather than taking a siesta, in the midday sun....) Sorry about your eye issues, Bob. Obviously, I can't say anything about the scarring, but I can tell you that cataract surgery is a relative breeze. I had my second yesterday, and it is amazing to be able to really see again. I still need glasses for reading, but not for driving.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not too worried about the surgery. I had lasik surgery about 7 years ago and it's similar in scope as i understand it. I got an OCT(?) test done so need to hear the results about the scarring, but I have to wait on the cataract surgery for the cataract to get worse. The down side is it is already annoying for me, probably because I work on a computer so I have to spend a lot of time reading.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whew! Glad your head is better, Bob. Sorry to hear about your eyes. I hope the retina scar isn't affecting your vision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm having a couple of things affecting my vision. I think the scar is causing the little black dot I see occasionally in my field of vision. I think the cataract is causing a general bluriness in my right eye.
    ~ Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I'm having a couple of things affecting my vision. I think the scar is causing the little black dot I see occasionally in my field of vision. I think the cataract is causing a general bluriness in my right eye.
    Floaters inside your eye also cause black dots or spots but they seem to move like flies or bugs flying by. Some times it is hard to know if it is something inside your eye or outside of you.

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeful View Post
    I have a good book on Wegeners (and other auto immune diseases) that I take with me to the eye doctor so he know what sort of things to be looking for.
    Can you share the name of the book to which you are referring? I'm due for an eye doctor appointment & having moved, I'll need to find one in this area. Thanks & hope you will continue to improve!!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i was looking through wikipedia wegeners granulomatosis and it describes eye problems have a look .... hows your marriage going young love its
    gorgeous xx janet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heard back from the eye doctor yesterday. I have something called Central Serous in addition to the cataract. It's basically a tiny blister under the retina, and should go away over time. Reading up it's caused by cortosteroids. Anyway that explains the weird black dot in my vision the way the cataract explained the blur on that side.
    ~ Bob

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast