Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 4th of July

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4th of July

To all my American friends I hope you enjoy your holiday and festivities ............. I am sure someone once told me what it is all about but for some reason I cannot remember.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    To all my American friends I hope you enjoy your holiday and festivities ............. I am sure someone once told me what it is all about but for some reason I cannot remember.

Jim
    It's water under the bridge now, Jim! But we do appreciate our independence, however we got it! Thanks for the good wishes.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post

Jim
    Ah, Jim, I'll remind you: It is all about the art of complaining. The Declaration of Independence celebrates the way we Americans gripe. It lists no fewer than 27 specific grievances (the last time I counted, which was, admittedly, many years ago), and a whole host of minor cavils. As one wit suggested, not "carpe diem", but "carp diem": day of grumbles.

But allow me to note, in passing: those tea-party types who complained about taxation without taxation? They never saw it with representation.....

Al