Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting quotes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Jim, I know you aren't a big cat enthusiast.
    I love big cats, but for some reason the local authority will not let me keep a couple of tigers in my seventy foot garden, mind you I am not sure if I could afford to feed them ............. hmmmmmm perhaps if I went back to doing nights I could bring home the odd drunk and introduce him/her to the tigers that should kep the feed costs down.

Seriously I do not mind cats but I am more of a dog person. When my wife left me I had two children, four cats and two dogs to look after and they were all female, was someone trying to make a point?

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    I love big cats, but for some reason the local authority will not let me keep a couple of tigers in my seventy foot garden, mind you I am not sure if I could afford to feed them ............. hmmmmmm perhaps if I went back to doing nights I could bring home the odd drunk and introduce him/her to the tigers that should kep the feed costs down.

Seriously I do not mind cats but I am more of a dog person. When my wife left me I had two children, four cats and two dogs to look after and they were all female, was someone trying to make a point?

Jim
    I knew someone who had a lynx and a bobcat in a yard about that size, in a decent sized chain-link enclosure. They were affectionate with people, for the most part. Not as big as the big cats you speak of, though.

I like dogs but I find them to be pretty demanding of attention and too much responsibility for the likes of me. Cats can be left on their own more easily, not that they don't also require responsibility. My cats and I are a good fit; we fulfill each other's needs at home for companionship, cuddling, etc. I would have a dog someday if I ever feel I could do right by it.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have just come across this quote on todays calendar page

It is much more important to know what sort of patient has a disease than what sort of disease a patient has........William Osler

Another quote just for Jim and Anne

If a dog jumps onto your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.....A.N. Whitehead
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's another one about cats and dogs, by Mark Twain, who was obviously a cat lover:

552697_470266766318339_1483592057_n.jpg
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Jim, great idea starting a thread on interesting quotes. I have a couple tacked up behind my computer... here's one:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted".

​Albert Einstein
    Anne, this reminds me of the first lesson we learned in statistics (actually, it may be the only lesson I remember; the class was at 7:30 in the morning): Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our cat will only sit on peoples laps that are wearing jeans.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Our cat will only sit on peoples laps that are wearing jeans.
    That totally cracks me up! Just like some people will only wear jeans. There must be something pretty good about jeans, and cats have good taste.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Another quote just for Jim and Anne

If a dog jumps onto your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.....A.N. Whitehead

Whenever my maternal 90+ year old grandfather visited us, it would not be long before a cat was asleep on his lap. Because of his age we would wait on him, hardly letting him get up which of course was pure bliss for the cat - a nice warm comfortable lap that did not keep on moving.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Anne, this reminds me of the first lesson we learned in statistics (actually, it may be the only lesson I remember; the class was at 7:30 in the morning): Figures don't lie, but liars do figure.

Al
    I worked in finace for a large multinational company that one year was very concerned about ensuring we had a high dividend to pay to the shareholders. So at the year end rather than doing all the usual accounting work to find what the profit was, the board told us what the profit MUST be and we had to make everything fit with that figure. So Al, a very apt quote.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this one on Facebook:

539668_448434508512066_989570095_n.jpg
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast