Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An evening to remember

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default An evening to remember

While Al is off at bird camp, I'll tell you that I met him last Monday evening at the Governor's Mansion here in Olympia, Washington, the state capital. There is a series of chamber music concerts at the Mansion every year, and Al comes down from the far north of the state to record them all, being as that is his line of work. You generally have to be a paying member of the Mansion Foundation, or some such, to hear the concerts, but Al was able to get me a guest pass. So there he was, I recognized him right away, and we talked for a bit and he gave me a tour of the part of the Mansion that was open. (The governor and her husband were elsewhere.) Al was very nice, soft-spoken, and much more of a teddy-bear than a curmudgeon. Meeting him was noteworthy not only in that he was Al, but he was also the first person with Wegener's that I have ever met. (Al's wife was teaching elsewhere, so I didn't get to meet her.)

The music was very impressive, all written for string quartets, trios, or duos, and played by excellent musicians, three of whom were born in Russia. All the pieces were written by inmates of a concentration camp in Nazi Germany while they were incarcerated. This was a "model" camp called Terezin, designed to present a false image of what the camps were like, to make people think the arts were promoted, that people were living in a civilized and dignified fashion. The composers and performers were routinely shipped off to the extermination camps when they had served their purpose. The music was very spirited, whimsical, and energetic, for the most part, and really superb. It was hard to imagine it being a product of the victims of the Nazis. The pieces as a collection were called Far Is My Home, and brought together by a Seattle organization called Music of Remembrance, whose mission is "ensuring that the voices of musical witness be heard". The composers were Gideon Klein, Robert Dauber, Hans Krasa, and Szymon Laks. As I understand it the works were performed in the camp but nowhere else, as there was a ban on performances in Germany by any living or historical Jewish composers.

Thanks again to Al for arranging for me to meet him and hear this performance of very special music!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, that was quite some night of "firsts", meeting Al, meeting another Weggy, the music and being shown around the mansion by such a well known guide ........... a teddy bear, hmmmmm I must remember that.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Anne how wonderful........to meet a Teddy Bear and to hear great music

I'm guessing that Al is going to hate the fact that you have told everyone that he isn't really a grumpy but that he is a teddy bear
    ....Sorry Al, the cats out of the bag
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's neat, Anne. I'm glad you and Al got to meet. Whenever 2 or more Weggies meet, somewhere an angel gets its wings. Oh wait....

I think I heard a story about that music on NPR recently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne....I wish i had known about this performance. I am in Federal Way Way and would have tried to pull some strings so we could have attended.
    We would have enjoyed the music and maybe meeting you and Al. ( My wife has season tickets to the Paramount and The 5th Avenue and some times has extra tickets if you would be interested.) While in the army in 1954, I visited two concentration camps in France and Germany. That is something I will never forget. I taught history and spent a lot of time with the 1930's and 40's.
    Good for you for being interested enough to attend the performance.

Mr.g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mr.g View Post
    Anne....I wish i had known about this performance. I am in Federal Way Way and would have tried to pull some strings so we could have attended.
    We would have enjoyed the music and maybe meeting you and Al. ( My wife has season tickets to the Paramount and The 5th Avenue and some times has extra tickets if you would be interested.) While in the army in 1954, I visited two concentration camps in France and Germany. That is something I will never forget. I taught history and spent a lot of time with the 1930's and 40's.
    Good for you for being interested enough to attend the performance.

Mr.g
    Well, Mr.g, you might look up Music of Remembrance on the web and try to find out if they are giving other performances in the area, as they do seem to be Seattle based. Maybe you and I and Al can meet someday. Federal Way is not too far from here; I go near there to buy clay. If you are in the Olympia area between 10AM and 3PM Thurs-Sun., stop by the Olympia Farmers Market, and look for the potter in stall#30. And thanks for thinking of me with the extra tickets; that could work out, although I'm generally pretty busy and it's not always easy to arrange extra activities. But that doesn't mean it's impossible.

Al also said he had visited some concentration camps including Terezin, the one where the music was composed.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    Wow Anne how wonderful........to meet a Teddy Bear and to hear great music

I'm guessing that Al is going to hate the fact that you have told everyone that he isn't really a grumpy but that he is a teddy bear
    ....Sorry Al, the cats out of the bag
    Let's not get too carried away with this Teddy Bear thing; I don't want to embarrass Al! I think it was someone else on the forum, not me, who originally came up with the Teddy Bear vs. Curmudgeon thing in regard to Al.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Let's not get too carried away with this Teddy Bear thing; I don't want to embarrass Al! I think it was someone else on the forum, not me, who originally came up with the Teddy Bear vs. Curmudgeon thing in regard to Al.
    Yeah, I exposed him as a teddy bear. I can't remember the conversation but I sensed that he was more teddy bear than not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Yeah, I exposed him as a teddy bear. I can't remember the conversation but I sensed that he was more teddy bear than not.
    Well, that's OK, as long as Al knows that more than one of us is calling him a teddy bear. And your assessment of him was correct.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Hey! what is wrong with being a mean, smelly old goat...?

Al

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast