Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TURP versus TUNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TURP versus TUNA

I need one more operation to try fix things and this one is to reduce my risk of recurrent bladder infections. I have had many UTIs ever since the CTX IV treatment and oral meds and needed a catheter for several weeks. I have had no infections now for over a year but still have increased risk of bladder infections due to trouble emptying bladder quickly and easily. I am now considered safe enough to purse some operation to try fix this problem. One urologist recommended a TUNA operation, less invasive and simple out patient procedure, but not as effective. It takes a longer time for any benefits, may need to be repeated, and often makes things worse for a few weeks before you see any benefits. Another urologist recommended a TURP since benefits are more immediate and likely to last longer. Downside is that it is more invasive and has somewhat more risk of complications. He is at the hospital I would prefer to use for family and personal reasons and where I got my care for Wegs so I feel they have better resources so I will most like do it there.

Just wondering if anyone else has needed this surgery and what experience or knowledge any readers have on this issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never heard of either one. Sorry I cannot help you.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't heard of either one, drz. Can you go to a major research institution for their opinion? If it were me, I'd want the input of people involved in research.

The TUNA name did make me giggle though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    I haven't heard of either one, drz. Can you go to a major research institution for their opinion? If it were me, I'd want the input of people involved in research.

The TUNA name did make me giggle though.
    Yeah--I haven't heard of it either. But it sounds fishy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This thread sounds like we are talking about food.....lol.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet someone's gonna come along and ask if they use a real tuna.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turnips and Tuna for supper......lol.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Another urologist recommended a TURP since benefits are more immediate and likely to last longer. Downside is that it is more invasive and has somewhat more risk of complications. He is at the hospital I would prefer to use for family and personal reasons and where I got my care for Wegs so I feel they have better resources so I will most like do it there.

Just wondering if anyone else has needed this surgery and what experience or knowledge any readers have on this issue?
    I have no idea what tuna stands for but turp stands for transurethral resection of the prostrate (TURP) it is generally done to unblock the flow of urine for men who have benign prostatic hyperlasia. Go with the guy you trust since you are usually home in a couple of days after a turp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked my treating doctor for GPA and he leans toward the bipolar TURP where they use an electric arc to slowly slice out blockage areas. The cut parts are then flushed out so nothing is left behind to stimulate the immune system. The Green light Laser method leaves some sloughage behind which might not be a good thing when you have GPA. Most of the tissue is vaporized and there is less bleeding with this procedure. i will get Dr. Specks advice next month on the issue.

On the upside my last labs indicated that after being anemic for some years from the Wegs stuff I have finally recovered to the point where I am no longer in anemic range. All labs were pretty good. The lymphocytes were low from taking azathioprine but I think that is whole point of taking it to control the GPA stuff. Two years and three months after diagnosis things are looking relatively good but don't tell anyone and wake up the sleeping dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yay, I'm glad to hear you're doing well from a Wegs point of view! It took me several years to get out of the anemic range, too. (In my case I feel certain that it was because I had smoldering Wegs all that time) Keep tiptoeing around the Wegs dog, drz.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast