Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TURP versus TUNA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to stay near hospital for weekend in case some thing happened after surgery but had no problems. Didn't even need any pain meds so went back home today. Only significant issue is not to lift anything over 7 KG or 15 pounds for next month. Might be hard to remember that. Other wise surgery seemed successful and I am happy to have it done. Thanks for the wishes for quick recovery and happy thoughts.
    Last edited by drz; 08-07-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope you have a quick recovery drz. I'm happy the surgery and recovery are going so well for you.
    ~ Bob

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of great news, drz!! So happy to hear that "smile" in your "voice," too!! Woohoo! Keep up the good work!!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A month after last post I had a very anxious weekend. I had been warned a scab would form inside in the area that was removed to make it easier to empty my bladder and that this would probably come off in two or three weeks. I don't remember it being any problem or concern at that time. But five and half weeks after surgery I started passing big blood clots and bright red blood. I thought it might be the scab coming off late due to diabetes and Wegener's that might have delayed healing so wasn't too worried initially but the blood clots persisted during the day Saturday.

The urologist doctor returned my call that evening and said to keep drinking lots of water and emptying the bladder as often as possible. If I could not empty it due to clots blocking it I might have to have the bladder rinsed out and needed to see some one right away if that happened . Also if it kept bleeding I might need to have the scar area cauterized. He said to give it two days and see if the urine cleared up. That would happen if the scar area healed up again and all the clots in side the bladder passed out.

I passed several last night and several more clots this morning but the urine seemed to clear up this afternoon and no blood or blood clots have been seen since so I am hopeful it is all better now. It did make for a rather sleepless night and anxious couple of days. Hope the urine remains blood free and things heal up nicely. There are lots of bad scenarios that could happen but I don't want to go there unless symptoms return and require further evaluation and/or treatment. After a severe case of Wegs though it is very easy to rapidly envision all sorts of bad things that symptoms could be and hard to keep the anxiety under control at these times. It helps me to remember though I made it through some really bad times with the Wegs and that I am unlikely to get anything I can't handle. I also found the doctor's words very reassuring and greatly appreciated his counsel last night.
    Last edited by drz; 09-10-2012 at 01:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am so glad that things have come good for you drz ........in more ways than you need to know (yes the bad scenario)
    I am doing a happy dance for you and good job on your doctor's part.

Get some rest and take care
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Natural Bridge Station, VA; Grandy, NC (OBX); formerly Fredericksburg, VA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy dance from me, too, drz! Sounds like you had quite a weekend! Let's keep the faith that all continues to improve!

KB
    KB -- "The good life is inspired by love and guided by knowledge". Bertrand Russell

Dx in September, 2011. Major involvement: kidneys and lungs. Medical implications: fungal pneumonia, drug-induced hepatitis, allergy to fungal meds, ear infections, sinusitis, gall bladder removal, vitreal detachment, and eye cellulitis. Medial meniscus removal (unrelated to WG). Medications: Rtx, Pred 5.0, Lisinopril, Chlorthalidone, Levothyroxin, Omeprazole.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KathyB View Post
    Happy dance from me, too, drz! Sounds like you had quite a weekend! Let's keep the faith that all continues to improve!

KB
    Happy dance me three, can you visualize Michelle, Kathy and me dancing around singing happy songs for you???

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes, drz! I'm so glad it resolved as the doctor thought it would. Add me into the happy dance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Happy dance me three, can you visualize Michelle, Kathy and me dancing around singing happy songs for you???
    I would love to see you all doing a happy dance at any time for any reason. The bleeding in my bladder seemed to resolve itself so no extra medical procedure was needed. Will do regular routine lab tomorrow and see what my status is now on other issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had last follow up appointment with surgeon who did the TURP. He said everything seems fine so no need to come back again. I can now empty bladder completely and quickly which should help reduce risk of having frequent bladder infections.

My GPA doctor also said yesterday I still seem in a stable drug induced remission from the GPA despite my four minor surgeries in past year so I will continue on current maintenance meds indefinitely. He reassured me that many people who have had organ transplants have taken azathioprine for decades. Before its invention the only option for people with organ transplants was large doses of prednisone.

He also reviewed the research with me that pertained to whether I should get a flu shot and cited three studies that indicated positive findings for doing so and no studies have yet confirmed a risk from doing so. One study indicated people who didn't get the shot were more likely to flare than those who did get the flu shot. The three benefits for getting to flu shot are reduce risk of dying, reduced risk of getting flu, and reduced risk of having a GPA flare. Due to my age and broken immune system the benefits for me are less than others but the risks if I get the flu are also much higher so he highly recommends I get the flu shot as soon as possible. I had one a year ago and it seemed to go OK for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast