Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Memory Problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by freakyschizogirl View Post
    I may forget the little things but i'll never forget the important things.

Hoping one day my brain function of old will return.
    Really, forgetting something or even someone is NOT the issue although it is terribly frustrating in the everyday context of things/life...we wanna remember and we wanna be remembered...the truth is: neither one is going to happen in the longer run...we do know that. So, what IS important is how we function daily with what's left of our brains and our hearts, with or without all the experiences we've all been through. You love Stu now, he loves you...it's all that counts...what happens, remembered or learned or neither is not what affects the looks in your eyes today...the best to you both...you seem like a lovely couple!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Don View Post
    ...the best to you both...you seem like a lovely couple!!!
    Aww, thanks
    "I believe that I have seen a negative attitude kill people, but I don't think that a positive one will cure you. However, I know that it Helps". Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi everyone, sorry I've not been on for a while, I hope you are all doing ok.

I'm scared my memory problems are getting worse. I'm finding quite regularly people are mentioning things to me that I just cant remember...sometimes I just pretend because I'm embarrassed. The other day I was watching a film and my boyfriends said I've seen it before but I literally dont remember at all.

Is there anything I can do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm exactly the same. The more I stressed about it the worse it got. I just put it down to meds and hope it will improve. Wish I had an answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MCC View Post
    Hi everyone, sorry I've not been on for a while, I hope you are all doing ok.

I'm scared my memory problems are getting worse. I'm finding quite regularly people are mentioning things to me that I just cant remember...sometimes I just pretend because I'm embarrassed. The other day I was watching a film and my boyfriends said I've seen it before but I literally dont remember at all.

Is there anything I can do?

There are many cognitive exercise programs you can do on computers. Playing games like suduko, crossword puzzles, cards etc that make you think also help. I don't think Wegs helped my cognitive functioning any but when i was re-tested a year after diagnosis of Wegs and two years from last time of neuropsych testing, I actually did a little better in some tests. I had been doing some brain training programs a coup0le days per week. and it might have helped I guess. I and the neuropsychologist really expected that I would do considerable worse after the intubation, many hypoglycemic episodes, low hemoglobin, RTX and CTX IV's, prednisone meds etc. The only thing that was considerably worse was concentration or short term memory which he attributed to the pred meds i was on at the time. That seems slightly better too as I reduced my pred meds.

It is not what we lost that is most important, it is what we do with what we have left that counts!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found a site full of online jigsaw puzzles of varying difficulty and numbers of pieces. It's not exactly cognitive like Sudoku or such, but I'd think visual puzzle solving would exercise some part of the brain. So far I've only solved one small puzzle and haven't figured out all the ins and outs of the site, but when I do, I was planning on sharing it with the forum.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I have found a site full of online jigsaw puzzles of varying difficulty and numbers of pieces. It's not exactly cognitive like Sudoku or such, but I'd think visual puzzle solving would exercise some part of the brain. So far I've only solved one small puzzle and haven't figured out all the ins and outs of the site, but when I do, I was planning on sharing it with the forum.
    The ARRP site had a good collection of cognitive exercises. There are others but some of them have a charge for a lesson they send you on regular basis and keep records of your improvement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it may seem juvenile, etc., I play a number of video games. Including find the oblect games, word games, puzzles, strategy games, and so on. Well, not sure it helps, but while I've been recuperating and recovering, it's been something to do that was it's own form of reward, and it's kept the mind a bit sharper despite all the drugs. I also read a lot & exercise...keeps me thinking and imagining. Both are fantastic for recovery...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Memory is a curious business, and it comes hardest just when we worry about it the most. The meds we take do not help, but perhaps doing the crosswords and other puzzles do, some, at least. And keeping body parts moving, with exercise. I am pretty sure are a good idea, regardless of everything else. To summarize, keep living, and keep some control over how you live. I hope this helps a little!

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd cut back on the number of boyfriends....lol.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast