Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jubilee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Jubilee

I've been watching the Queen's Jubilee on tv and I have to tell all you brits out there that no matter what it costs, it is really cool to see so much patriotism and pride expressed in your country and your queen. Bravo!

All we have over here are the likes of George Clooney and Paris Hilton (my cousin actually) and they don' begin to rise to any level of admiration.

You're putting on a great show and I'm glad the brits are great friends that we can always count on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    I've been watching the Queen's Jubilee on tv and I have to tell all you brits out there that no matter what it costs, it is really cool to see so much patriotism and pride expressed in your country and your queen. Bravo!

All we have over here are the likes of George Clooney and Paris Hilton (my cousin actually) and they don' begin to rise to any level of admiration.

You're putting on a great show and I'm glad the brits are great friends that we can always count on.
    Yes--bravi, indeed! In the American system, royalty is not always so noble....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went to see the Thames Diamond Jubilee Pageant. We arrived early but, patently, not early enough as most access to the river forntage was closed 4 hours before it was due to arrive! We eventually made it but were probably 20 rows back from the river frontage and initially could see nothing. However, after the Queen had passed and the rain really set in the crowd began to disperse it was not long before we could see. Well before the end we were right at the front and had a grandstand view of much of the remainder of the spectacle! (I would post a picture but the system won't play!).

The downside - after hours of standing I seem to have acquired a slight vasculitic rash around my ankle, the first I have seen for 15 months! Hopefully it is not the start of anything worse!
    Last edited by pwc51; 06-05-2012 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's one thing I regret when I worked for Pan Am, I never went to England and I have always wanted to.I am part English and Welsh and I just love the accent of people there and the way of life seems to be much simplier and nicer in Europe. It was a shame that the Prince was hospitalized and could not be there for the whole ceremony. The Queen seems to have changed alot after the death of Diana...not as harsh.But she always seems to be a gracious lady.I don't like Camilia at all though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debra - You've gotta love Camilla's hats though !!! Ha ha !

Vdub - It's funny though, when I went to America, what struck me a lot was just how patriotic Americans were, as so many houses have the flag flying in their front gardens all the time. We don't seem to do that - only on special occasions.
    I just don't know how an 86 year old and a 90 year old stood for 4.1/2 hours in the cold and damp on the Thames on that boat without sitting down. I can't do that for 1/2 hour on a good day !!

Fran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your cousin is Paris Hilton?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    your cousin is Paris Hilton?
    HA! Somehow Phil I knew you would pick up on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just not something I would want people to know.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrianR View Post
    HA! Somehow Phil I knew you would pick up on that.
    Yeah, I didn't want to ask

The Jubilee concert was shown on television last night and oh my goodness, some ageing rockers were in the mix, but you guys can certainly put on a show.

I love, love Cliff Richard (well, he comes second to my love for Elvis) but oh my, Cliff, that really wasn't a good performance. I thought he was wearing someone else's teeth for the night
    and then Elton John.......he obviously borrowed Cliff's teeth after Cliff was finished with them.....yep, they are getting old

The Queen was splendid......you just have to love her.
    I loved how she was wearing earplugs for the concert what a classic ....but she is definately one classy lady.

......now vdub, let's hear about Paris!!!??
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vdub View Post
    Well if you want to have a share in our royalty all you have to do is get rid of your President and pay the back tax on that tea that got ruined and rejoin our empire. Oh by the way you do not have to give up on drinking coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by pwc51 View Post
    The downside - after hours of standing I seem to have acquired a slight vasculitic rash around my ankle, the first I have seen for 15 months! Hopefully it is not the start of anything worse!
    Peter, I hope you are going to be well enough to make to the Surrey Vasculitis UK gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    Vdub - It's funny though, when I went to America, what struck me a lot was just how patriotic Americans were, as so many houses have the flag flying in their front gardens all the time. We don't seem to do that - only on special occasions.
    I just don't know how an 86 year old and a 90 year old stood for 4.1/2 hours in the cold and damp on the Thames on that boat without sitting down. I can't do that for 1/2 hour on a good day !!

Fran
    I often think we Brits are bad at the patriotic thing, then we go and do something like the Jubilee and then relise we do love our country. As for the standing, that is the main reason that I decided to watch it on tv, they are not bad for a couple of oap's.

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    I love, love Cliff Richard (well, he comes second to my love for Elvis) but oh my, Cliff, that really wasn't a good performance. I thought he was wearing someone else's teeth for the night
    and then Elton John.......he obviously borrowed Cliff's teeth after Cliff was finished with them.....yep, they are getting old.
    I noticed that and I also thought Pual McCartney had a few problems as well, I did wonder how much the cold air might not be helping their vocal chords.

Jim
    Last edited by Dryhill; 06-06-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast