Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Bird Cam update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our aviary in the nursing home section recently hatched two more baby diamond back doves. They sit in nest and have no feathers. I saw mother? or one of parents fed them yesterday. The babies can't fly or eat seeds yet so mother flies in and pecks at their head and beak or bill until they insert their beaks into hers and then she regurgitates food for them. The babies are real aggressive and demanding about the food and it seems like a bit of work for feeding parent but the babies eventually grow up and fly around the cage and seem to learn to eat on their own. Their are two older siblings in cage, one from several months ago is now fully feathered, another one a couple months old is partly feathered and can fly around the cage and maybe feeds itself. The finches seem to pick at it though and it looks like they are pulling feathers off it or eating something off its skin. I don't think it is the helpful preening that birds often do for each other but when it reaches adult size this should end as they leave older sibling alone.

It is interesting to see how the babies grow into adults so quickly and the work the parents put into raising them.

I saw Rachel doing some spring cleaning on the osprey nest the other day. She moved and rearranged several sticks and Steve mostly watched with a stick in his beak as if he was asking where do you want this one dear?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've learned so much watching the nest cams, though I haven't gotten around to the puffin nest yet. The parents truly dote on the little ones, even when they get really big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I promise to give my "bird camp" report soon. Recovering (both physically and organizationally) from the vacation has been tough, but I'll get there!

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    Just looked in on the puffin cam for the first time. Omigosh, that baby is cute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Just looked in on the puffin cam for the first time. Omigosh, that baby is cute!
    I just got a good look at the baby for the first time..... yes, very cute! It just swallowed a small fish its mama brought in.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    I promise to give my "bird camp" report soon. Recovering (both physically and organizationally) from the vacation has been tough, but I'll get there!

A
    That's OK, Al! Whenever you are ready. We understand. You have done a lot in the last few weeks, and being away from home requires recovery, even for non-Weggies.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What puffins look like outside their burrow: It really goes to a camera for puffins:

Osprey - Audubon Live Cams - explore

They sort of remind me of the South African penguin in their size and behavior. The link is for camera of puffins outside despite erroneously title.

The eagle site was showing clips of Videos from empty nest to birds flying around their nest area. It began with an empty nest and and mouse scurring away as adult landed on nest. The it looked like snow covered empty nest and slowly the snow pile moves and moma eagle stands up and shakes snow off and the then rearranges the eggs, next one showe them hatched in nest and then flying around.
    Last edited by drz; 07-13-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    What puffins look like outside their burrow: It really goes a camera for puffins:

Osprey - Audubon Live Cams - explore

They sort of remind me of the South African penguin in their size and behavior. The link is for camera of puffins outside despite erroneously title.

The eagle site was showing clips of Videos from empty nest to birds flying around their nest area. It began with an empty nest and and mouse scurring away as adult landed on nest. The it looked like snow covered empty nest and slowly the snow pile moves and moma eagle stands up and shakes snow off and the then rearranges the eggs, next one showe them hatched in nest and then flying around.
    I really like these guys....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other day the big puffin baby backed into the camera. I'm pretty sure s/he was saying, "Does this fluff make my butt look big?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Sad news from site: We are sad to inform you that "Petey" the baby puffin passed away on Friday, July 20th likely due to a shift in the area.s fish populations. We are all thankful for the opportunity to learn from him and encourage you to stay tuned to the Puffin Loafing Ledge and Osprey Cams. To see a full statement from Audubon and learn more, go to the bird blog. Watch for the parents returning to the burrow and protecting it from intruders. For instructions on how to help us observe the parents see the Citizen Science tab below.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast