Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bird Cam update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Just been checking in on the bird cams again. Dang it, I missed so much of their little lives. I feel like an absentee parent. The red-tailed hawks went from fuzzy little white fluffs to looking like adults already. And the eaglets look like crows. No one in the barn owl next this morning! Nature is always moving.
    Every time I look in the barn owl nest, there is one very large owlet that almost looks like an adult. The caption says they should leave the nest at the end of June, but looks like they already have! Or maybe the people in charge have moved them?
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The eldest red-tailed hawk baby fledged yesterday and the 2nd eldest fledged today! Only one left in the nest, about to go at any time. Here's a link to some videos captured of their flights. I missed them. MrWildcritter1 - YouTube

Barn owl nest has been empty yesterday and today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just checked the owl nest and it is now confirmed by the people there that all four owlets have left the nest but are probably still hanging out with Mom and Dad, sharing meals, etc. For anyone who still yearns to see them, there are several short videos, including one of the last owlet leaving the nest.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a video of them cleaning the barn owl nest camera. 5-12-2012 11-46-52 AM.avi - YouTube Man, those owl babies were creepy. *shudder*

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a video of the youngest one who nabbed a full gopher from mom as she flew in, and ate the thing whole. Little Guy Wins The Prize.avi - YouTube

The look on his siblings' faces was priceless. "Dude, pace yourself." "Yeah, if you keep gulping gopher like that you're gonna be up all night farting. You ever smell gopher farts?" "You gonna eat that back leg?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a video of them cleaning the barn owl nest camera. 5-12-2012 11-46-52 AM.avi - YouTube Man, those owl babies were creepy. *shudder*
    That's a clearer shot of them than usual from this camera.... maybe because they cleaned it.... anyway, a really good look at them for anyone who had trouble seeing them.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    That's a clearer shot of them than usual from this camera.... maybe because they cleaned it.... anyway, a really good look at them for anyone who had trouble seeing them.
    Because everyone deserves a good look at the ghastly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it looks like they were busy calling for mom--"there is an intruder in here"

When the little one ate the mouse half it size it reminded me of a snake eating something half its size. I wonder how long before it gets hungry again. Bet it could use a rolaid or tums after that meal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the red-tailed hawks nest, both the older siblings have fledged but the youngest gal hasn't. She teased everyone the entire day, all the way to sundown. She even had a number of full-blown tantrums where she went banging around the metal nest stomping her feet and throwing out her wings. The Cornell moderators are good at quelling any attempts to anthropomorphise behaviors but even they called it a tantrum. LOL

There was one point where she just stared right into the camera on a close-up for an extended amount of time. Her head was cocked to the side and the look on her face was the sweetest thing. Everyone on the chat was getting teary-eyed and nostalgic. It was just one of those rare and special moments.

That's been my favorite nest to watch, even though I missed several weeks. The barn owls creeped me out, the bald eagles were cool but didn't hold my attention for long periods, and I never got into the herons at all. I love red-tailed hawks. It's been amazing to watch them go through these stages and learn more about them from the moderators. And they were definitely the cutest of all the babies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And a video of the youngest one who nabbed a full gopher from mom as she flew in, and ate the thing whole. Little Guy Wins The Prize.avi - YouTube

The look on his siblings' faces was priceless. "Dude, pace yourself." "Yeah, if you keep gulping gopher like that you're gonna be up all night farting. You ever smell gopher farts?" "You gonna eat that back leg?"
    "Mom! If you're not going to cut up dinner...."

Al

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast