Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: my europe trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always had varicose veins, too. Really big, even in my 20's. Also, my inner ankles have looked like an old woman's since my early 30's. (Ain't that a pretty picture?) It's a combo of genetic predisposition and liver congestion.

Varicosities (bulging) occur in superficial veins-- so we can see them. Blood clots occur in deep veins. They're known as "Deep Vein Thrombosis" or DVT.

DVTs are not common with Wegs, but they're not rare, either. Recent research (the last 2-3 years) is finally recognizing the connection. The general theory is that global inflammation also causes the vein lining to be inflamed. This sets off a chain of events causing the blood to clot there.

When I got clots in '06 my doctors (not Wegs docs) were completely puzzled. Now I've learned that clots are more likely if the Wegs is active--particularly if the inflammation levels are high. I was in the ICU with hemorrhaging lungs, so....

My clots were as severe as they get-- my legs and lungs were literally packed with them. One clot in my leg was the entire length of my thigh and the thickness of my pinky. Given the severity, I'll have to be on blood thinners for life. The risk of recurrent clots is very high in anyone who's had even one clot. Throw in the uncertainty of Wegs, and the risk is too high.

As a holistic doc, I believe there's a connection between varicosities and Wegs. They're both blood vessel disorders after all. I wonder how many of us on here had varicosities or spider veins before Wegs?

Lisa, what are your "nasty clot type symptoms?" It's something you need checked immediately-- like today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last edited by Sangye; 05-17-2009 at 01:02 AM.

Doug Guest

Lisa- At some point, if only to allay your concerns (bring these up with your doctor), you may want to have your legs ultra sounded for clots. I know my doctor sent me to ultra sound for this reason. Part of that was because of my weekly visit to the hospital for Procrit shots through my Greshong line. They followed up by shooting some Herparin through the line to imhibit clot formation, but I thought I had some unusual leg pains, brought them to my docotr's attention, with the ultra sound testing of my legs the outcome.

p.s. Sangre- Before I came down with WG at 55, as early as my 30's, I wouldn't be seen in a "Best Male Legs in Shorts" contest! Yep, lots of broken veins, but not too much on the varicose front. I had a few superficial ones that haven't been joined with others.

p.p.s. You know we are family when we start documenting the disgusting aspects of our condition. Haw!
    Last edited by Doug; 05-17-2009 at 05:03 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nasal crusting, mucous, varicose veins, diarrhea, leg ulcers, trachs filled with snot.... Yup, we're one big happy family. Even so, I don't think cable tv would be interested in a reality series based on us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes our symtoms unfortunately are not all great topics while eating....but never the less it is great to share with others who have been there.....so gross as it is...thanks for helping.
    Now, on to my "very gross veins" again......On Easter Sunday, I was sitting on the floor at my brothers house relaxing and I felt what seemed like a pop in my leg, near my knee. I then carried a nasty looking bruise around for about two weeks. Does that sound like a clot???? It is better now and no further symptoms that I am aware of anyway. The bruise has completely disappeared at this point.
    I will be seeing my rhuemy in about a month and my ENT in a week....so I will mention this to both of them and follow their recommendations.
    I should mention that I am on my feet alot at work (I am thankful I can still move as well as I can)
    Hey! Wish me luck when I see my ENT. I am hoping for good news. That would be getting a time line at getting the trach out. Sometime before the humidity hits here in MN would be great!
    I know, I know..........if I do not get the news that I desire that I should still hold my chin up and know it is for the best.
    Also.....I was going to add an attachment or picture (of a bunny cake for our birthday celebration) but could not figure out how. Can someone help me with this?
    It is a beautiful day here today...I hope you are all experiencing the same along with good health and fast recoveries!
    Lisa Coffeelover

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lisa, those are definitely not clot symptoms. Not at all-- you can relax about that one! Most likely is you probably broke a very small blood vessel. Maybe your leg was twisted funny, muscle tensed, etc.... Your symptoms match that very well. Less likely is a ruptured tendon--pred makes us very susceptible to those. You would've had sharp pain at the time, and lingering pain. Least likely is a cyst behind your knee (if that's where the pop and bruise were) that chose that moment to pop. They usually don't leave bruises and I've never heard that they make noise when bursting. If it was a cyst you'd never know it (doesn't leave evidence), but it's good that it's gone.

I hope you can get the trach out before the humidity hits! You're a few hours behind us here on the east coast-- if you're out for a walk at night with a trach in high humidity, I'm gonna wind up dreaming about Darth Vader and wonder why. (I am SO glad you have a good sense of humor so I can joke like that!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
    I was going to add an attachment or picture (of a bunny cake for our birthday celebration) but could not figure out how. Can someone help me with this?
    A couple of different methods mentioned here - http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...into-post.html
    Also, if you find an image on the web and right click it, select Properties and it will give the image's address which you can use.

Doug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    A couple of different methods mentioned here - http://www.wegeners-granulomatosis.c...into-post.html
    Also, if you find an image on the web and right click it, select Properties and it will give the image's address which you can use.
    Yeah, bunnycakes were invented, I think, in Minnesota. Isn't the bake pan a Nordic Bunnycake Pan made in the Land o' 10,000 Lakes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Doug, with all this renewed bunny talk, I just noticed how much your avatar resembles a wabbit. Was that intentional, or are you gradually morphing? Can we blame it on Wegs somehow?

Doug Guest

Default new avatar

I've been trying to keep it hidden (notice Jack is wearing a hat in his avatar), but the bunny effect comes somewhere in your fourth year with WG. As you might guess, it starts with little bumps on your head. It progresses to a point (different for all weggies) where the bumps elongate to roughly twice the length of your hand, and you become what is called in the medical jargon as "hare-brained". At this point, I like to call them my devil horns, but people who know me best know I am one stage away from "hare-brained". Thought you would like to know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast