Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Access to health care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Access to health care.

This says the USA is not only country where access to good health care is getting more difficult. Don't know the answer to fix it but know we are one the first to feel the strain and stress:

Kanakis warned the problem of worsening health care in Greece risked spreading to the rest of Europe as governments slash spending.
    Nearly half of patients examined in 2011 in Doctors of the World's clinics in Nice, Amsterdam, Brussels, London and Munich had not received the level of care appropriate for their conditions, while 79 percent of pregnant women had received no pre-natal care, the group said in a report.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel so blessed to live in Canada where we have such good health care.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Health care is expensive, especially when there are so many things that can be done for (and to) a patient--regardless of how the billing works. It would be cheaper, of course, if every individual paid for care out of pocket. (From the point of view of the medical-industrial complex, the patient is not the customer; that would be the deep-pocketed bureaucracies--either insurance companies or governments.). Yet it is also true that big bucks can buy research and technology that plain folks cannot. In any case, when economic times get tough and budgets suffer, the plain folks, who have little clout competing with either corporations or governments, tend to take it in the shorts.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    This says the USA is not only country where access to good health care is getting more difficult. Don't know the answer to fix it but know we are one the first to feel the strain and stress:

Kanakis warned the problem of worsening health care in Greece risked spreading to the rest of Europe as governments slash spending.
    Nearly half of patients examined in 2011 in Doctors of the World's clinics in Nice, Amsterdam, Brussels, London and Munich had not received the level of care appropriate for their conditions, while 79 percent of pregnant women had received no pre-natal care, the group said in a report.
    My consultant wanted me to have four infusions of RTX but the hospital could only afford for me to have two. The UK's NHS is just another sector that has been ordered to cut back so the government can try and balance its books.

Jim

You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess that supports the Doctors of the World research that we often aren't going to get the "appropriate level" of care due to budget cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    My consultant wanted me to have four infusions of RTX but the hospital could only afford for me to have two. The UK's NHS is just another sector that has been ordered to cut back so the government can try and balance its books.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I guess that supports the Doctors of the World research that we often aren't going to get the "appropriate level" of care due to budget cuts.
    Maybe (he says, cynically) that is "appropriate to your socio-economic standing", eh...?

Al