Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All the Mornings of the World

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All the Mornings of the World

(I have been a bit hit and miss with forum posts lately. The reasons for this relate to several current threads, so I have taking this as an obligation to start a new one that reflects some of these lines of thought in a slightly different context. Partly, my slothful postings betrays the need to carefully manage my own “spoon collection”: Without a lot of reserve, it is not possible to take on an unlimited program. Also, in true spoon tradition, choices must be consciously made--in many cases, for basic survival--that most people are blissfully unaware of. On the other hand, there is the need--for me, at least--to keep working, for many reasons, both material ones and those of human psychology. On the third hand, some days it all comes down to utter fatigue, whence the “pedal” of staying vital hits the “metal” of physical endurance. And yet, all life wants to live. What follows are a few observations on this theme to start us off; I would appreciate the thoughts of all of you.)

“All life wants to live”? Seems so banal, doesn’t it? Yet the simple tautology of that pronouncement begs contemplation of why this is so.

This last week has been busy for me professionally, and quite draining on many levels. The project concerns the world premiere of a new composition by Jake Heggie, with a libretto by Gene Scheer, entitled Another Sunrise. (The concert was last night; tomorrow and Thursday we do the recording.) Commissioned by Music of Remembrance, and beautifully sung by soprano Caitlyn Lynch, the music is an extraordinary telling of the extraordinary story of the Auschwitz survivor, Krystyna Żywulska. In short, it is a tale of how ordinary people manage to survive, if they do, in the face of unimaginable (and nearly un-tell-able) horrors, in a world where the assumed rules of life no longer make any sense.

If this seems vaguely familiar to Weggies, that is precisely my present point. No, our tormentors are not humans who would, for tribal reasons, bring evil upon us; yet, for us, certain rules of life no longer have, shall we say, the imprimatur of authenticity. (Simple modesty is often the first “rule” to go: A couple of years ago, the ideal of discussing personal body parts and processes with absolute strangers would have been unimaginable. But other guides to muddling our way through life also become, in the heat of battle, merely that: “guidelines”, rather than hard and fast rules. In that sense, “All life wants to live”, though still mysterious, becomes decidedly less trite. Life, with all its attendant trials--its aches and pains and hardships and frustrations agonies and woes--is all about our recording another sunrise, every morning, until we don’t.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very thought provoking Al. While it is my wife, not me, who has WG, we are both "with it" daily as is our 5 year old daughter Hana. I have a very different view now of what to expect from my own life and health than I did before Marta got WG. I believe little Hana too (only 5) has a profoundly different view of life (whatever that means to her) than she would have if Marta had not become ill. I think when one gets hit with that bucket filled with the cold-water-of-mortality for the first time the lens through which we view our life is changed forever.

I very clearly remember a year or so ago when Hana came down with a severe case of the stomach "flu" (probably norovirus) and threw up repeatedly for hours. Typically I expect this would have had the same effect on me as most parents, that being...it will pass like any and all the other bugs she will get in her lifetime. I may have even gotten away with thinking this way but when Hana said in a weak and whimpering voice, after her stomach was empty and she was still convulsing, "what's happening to me", it all hit me like a ton of bricks. For me now there is no such thing as just a simple bug or flu or virus that will go away. In it's place is an ever constant awareness of our frailty and, with the exception of eating well and exercising, there is little or nothing we can do to change whatever our fate may be. So...we look for the next sunrise every day; not just for ourselves but also, and perhaps more, (in my case most certainly more) for those we love.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Al, I've been familiar with the Spoon Collection for quite awhile as it was made up by a young woman who as I have has Lupus. As an also Weggie I must add somedays I believe we awake with "no spoons", and there are days when we might start with a good collection only to have to shove them back in the drawer hopefully for tomorrow.

In my early teens my mother told me that I had not been expected to live past 5 years of age. From the age of 2 or 3 I had yearly unexplainable life threatening kidney and bronchial attacks involving much pain. My parents always treated me normally never giving me physical limitations. Here I am 63 years later! I've had some rough times, but I also have had a great life - loving husband of 42 years, 9 great kids, 5 wonderful grandkids, and all the people on this forum. If you have a child that is sick, please let them live to their fullest. If you are a young person sick, please keep pushing through it. If like me you are getting up there in years, please enjoy the wonder of your next sunrise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

'Life, with all its attendant trials--its aches and pains and hardships and frustrations agonies and woes--is all about our recording another sunrise, every morning, until we don’t.-Al'

First of all Al, I swear you're a young Sam Clemens...not always on point, but savvy and experienced enough to understand the simple things of life that have always been. Now, while I don't agree with the idea of all life seeks to live...I met the reaper, it's not true...he/she/it was a nice entity & it's easy to turn out the lights, and, at times, preferred. But, for those who prefer the light of life/day and seek to elongate the experience, it is best that we understand that we have a limited amount of spoons and to use them properly is not only preferred most times, it IS a choice we make, whether we be aware or ignorant. So, in short, I love sunrises and count them among my best friends, but I also love sunsets and know that if the sunrise doesn't occur again, it's OK...we are merely the specks of a universe (or more) who go through the elemental behaviors of what we have been given...some get silver spoons, some get more than they need, some...well, we know how it is...it's all about us and our sunrises, yet it's not really...

Thanks for a more thoughtful thread...it's a pleasure to 'hear' you always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I understand you Al you are saying life is hard. No ****. Some days I get up and have no spoons. Other days I get up and have many spoons and then they are all gone by noon. And some days I get up with no spoons but manage to find a few later on to get me through to what I need to do.

We all have a natural will to live. When Brian talks about Hana saying what is happening to me, it makes me think about my parents and all the caregivers out there and how they react and feel in these crisis situations. It must be downright scary and exhausting for them. I want to live for my parents and for many others. I get selfish just like all of you do. But my ultimate goal for life I cannot speak about on here.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go reading ..Thanks Al..I must agree this lovely dog has changed my view on life and now I live for each precious moment...I am not lucky enough to have the supportative husband...he can not handle this "invisible disease" ..so we will part our ways and I will go on stronger for it...I start out with very little spoons but hold on to them with all my might ...determine to go to bed with aleast one...and sometimes i do...that is a celebration for me...chocolate anyone
    Want to see a miracle? Plant a word of love heartdeep in a person's life. Nuture it with a smile and a prayer and watch what happens...Never underestimate the power of the seed!

My mojo for today.....gonna be johnny apple seed and just keep planting
    Lisa Marie
    The happiness of people is not necessarily to have the best of everything...but make the most of what you have!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh Lisa Marie, I wish to wrap you in warm, soft light full of energy. What an utterly disconnected man you had for a husband. Al, you as always are so rich in your philosophical views. I love the concept of celebrating every sunrise until there are none,period. I am reminded at the first of your discussion of a line from Jurassic park which my 20 year old grandson watched so many times when he was small that he knew all the lines. Anyway Jeff Goldblum who played a scientist commented in one of the scenes "life always finds a way". I do believe that we subconsciously struggle to "hang on" mostly, as an ICU nurse I have seen people who struggle and then peacefully decide to "let go". I can almost hear you music playing when I think back on these times. Don, I have heard several stories from patients who we "revived" that make me believe that dying is not a scary or unpleasant experience. Brian, thank you for reminding us what those who love us endure and I love the way you care for Marta, there is something so unique and special about her. Trudy, I am amazed at your strength, I have struggled with this disease for only 4 years and it has been such a difficult struggle and you still enjoy each wondrous sunrise. Phil, you are always inspirational in your own way. What a special post, one I did not expect at the end of a long and trying work day. I thought I would just jump on the forum and "catch" up on my reading. Instead my heart has opened and I am looking forward to waking up to sunrises...until I don't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today I had a new experiance and one that I do not wish to repeat, for the first time I went to a funeral where the deceased was younger than me. This made me realise that although I am not happy with my health, at least I am alive and can enjoy being with friends, watching a good film or play and seeing the new life that is all around my village (bouncy lambs, bluebells in the woods and the new clutch of various birds).

When my elder daughter was three years old I often took her to a five acre council run garden in Streatham (south London). As she now lives nearby she often goes to this garden but I have not been back there for nearly 29 years, so we decided to cheer ourselves up after the funeral by going and admireing the flowers and wildlife. Of course twenty-nine years of wear and tear plus our beloved WG meant I was going to have some trouble getting around the place, especially as it on a definate slope. I may suffer in the coming days for this excusion, but in my mind it was well worth the struggle (at least there were quite a few benches for this poor old body to rest on). Seeing the attractive flowers, the lovely colour contrast of a copper beech tree next to the new green leaves of a horse chesnut tree with all its "candles" in flower and watching a blackbird having a nice long bath - yes I might ache or feel awful tommorow but today's effort was worth it.

So yes Al, life will always want to live. At times it might regret trying to live, but it will try.

Oh by the way if anyone has any spoons to spare I am sure I will need them very soon.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the hug...I am a nurse too and have worked the gamet..icu peds and adult ER OR cardiac med/surg, peds neuro..home health etc....I am doing quality review desk job and sneak out to do infusions on occasions to keep my skills up...I can no longer work the 12 hour floor shifts so i am blessed with the 32 hour a week desk job...the side job supplements so I am good...I am learning to live with no regrets..life is too short to dwell on negative or what could ve been...I am adjusting to the chronic fatigue and pay dearly when i over do it... I want my 17 yr old and 10 yr old sons to know there is nothing u can not do and to live life to the fullest......and to remember their mama never gave up or had no regrets...and lived life

Quote Originally Posted by Lightwarrior View Post
    Ahh Lisa Marie, I wish to wrap you in warm, soft light full of energy. What an utterly disconnected man you had for a husband. Al, you as always are so rich in your philosophical views. I love the concept of celebrating every sunrise until there are none,period. I am reminded at the first of your discussion of a line from Jurassic park which my 20 year old grandson watched so many times when he was small that he knew all the lines. Anyway Jeff Goldblum who played a scientist commented in one of the scenes "life always finds a way". I do believe that we subconsciously struggle to "hang on" mostly, as an ICU nurse I have seen people who struggle and then peacefully decide to "let go". I can almost hear you music playing when I think back on these times. Don, I have heard several stories from patients who we "revived" that make me believe that dying is not a scary or unpleasant experience. Brian, thank you for reminding us what those who love us endure and I love the way you care for Marta, there is something so unique and special about her. Trudy, I am amazed at your strength, I have struggled with this disease for only 4 years and it has been such a difficult struggle and you still enjoy each wondrous sunrise. Phil, you are always inspirational in your own way. What a special post, one I did not expect at the end of a long and trying work day. I thought I would just jump on the forum and "catch" up on my reading. Instead my heart has opened and I am looking forward to waking up to sunrises...until I don't.
    Want to see a miracle? Plant a word of love heartdeep in a person's life. Nuture it with a smile and a prayer and watch what happens...Never underestimate the power of the seed!

My mojo for today.....gonna be johnny apple seed and just keep planting
    Lisa Marie
    The happiness of people is not necessarily to have the best of everything...but make the most of what you have!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful comments. The conversation is, I think, an excellent one, and each observation deserves a response. But not tonight. Let me count spoons; then I have things to say to each of you, and to all of you.

Al

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast