Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cute animal stories

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cute animal stories

Sangye's recent thread "Escape from the Basement" has resulted in a number of funny/odd animal behaviour stories being posted, so I have decided we should have a thread for such stories. Hopefully they will lighten our days and nights plus give us the odd chuckle.

I have three to start the ball rolling:-

1. I have mentioned I had two Border Collies, well to be true the youinger one was really a Border Wally. When she was off the lead she loved to run 30 - 40 yards ahead of me, BUT wanted to know what I was doing, so she would run forward whilst looking back at me. I lost count of the amount of trees/bushes/fences and other obstacles she ran into.

2. A friend had a dog that would regularly take itself down the road to the local bakers shop where he would sit just outside the shop door. The baker would put some of the previous days stale buns in a paper bag and give it to the dog, who quite happily carried the bag in his mouth back to his home. Once it was in its garden the dog would then rip the bag apart and eat the buns!

3. In Thortnon Heath (a part of south London) there was a dog who would go upto a zebra crossing (for those that do not know what this is a description follows) and sit on the pavement till the cars had stopped. When it was sure it was safe the dog then walked across the road.

A zebra crossing is pedestrian crossing point marked by black and white stripes on the road and two flashing orange lamps. Once a pedestrian has put a foot on the crossing all lanes of traffic are supposed to stop until the pedestian is safely out of the way.

Jim
    Last edited by Dryhill; 04-28-2012 at 10:09 AM.
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great idea, Jim! I got the biggest laugh out of the dog bringing the bag of buns home and then ripping it apart. I've probably got some cat and dog stories, but will have to think on it awhile....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Great idea, Jim! I got the biggest laugh out of the dog bringing the bag of buns home and then ripping it apart. I've probably got some cat and dog stories, but will have to think on it awhile....
    I, too, liked the story of the doggie buns, Jim. Don't have any dramatic ones, though all animal stories are surely cute, automatically.

When we were first married, we had a cat who would fetch, much like a Labrador. Tennis balls were clearly out of the picture, but toss a peanut, and Trina would run after it, bring it back to us, and drop it at our feet, clearly expecting the game to go on forever....

Our present cat, when she was a kitten, didn't fetch peanuts, but would play "paw-ball" with them. She would wait at the top of the stairs, awaiting the toss of the nut above her head. She would leap high like a Serval and bat the thing back to us. It was an amazing thing. But she is now older and more sedate.

This is a start, at least....

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good start, Al. It's funny how cats all have different personalities. Some are interested in things on TV and some aren't. Not many would fetch and bring back a peanut, I don't think. My cats were all feral born and rescued as kittens and are very tuned in to their environment; if you rearrange a room or bring new objects into it, they will skulk around eyeballing the changes suspiciously. One of mine is very vocal when she wants my attention, while her brother says little but will poke at me with his paw; when I'm in bed, it's a poke in the face meaning "pet me", or "get up".

I had a cat who finally figured out I didn't like her bringing birds, dead or alive, into my house as gifts. So she started bringing in objects such as sticks, wine corks, rubber gloves, and whatever else seemed appropriate. I know she wasn't the only cat to have done this. I saw a "cat burglar" featured on TV recently, a Siamese who stole all kinds of things from the neighbors and dragged them to his home. He was caught on camera with some pretty large things, and it was quite comical. His owners had a "come and claim it" event on their lawn, with several tables piled with stuff.

I'll try to think of some dog stories.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anne, our present cat spent her first few months on the street. She came to live with our daughter just as the latter was starting a new (human) relationship, so Poppy is our "grandcat". It is interesting to see how she has come into her environment. For the first several months, she would not eat or sleep when anyone was watching. But now she craves laps, facial massages, and other acoutrements of being domesticated. She still is offended, however, when I try to sleep in. She will stick a single claw into my lip, not enough to break the skin, but enough to bring me to consciousness.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our cat Sophie will only sit on someones lap if they are wearing jeans. She will jump up to see and if no one is wearing jeans she looks quite disapointed and walks away.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Our cat Sophie will only sit on someones lap if they are wearing jeans. She will jump up to see and if no one is wearing jeans she looks quite disapointed and walks away.
    That is funny! So you know if someone is wearing good dress attire, she will not mess it up with cat hair.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, good stories. Before I was born my dad had a golden retriever that would 'retrieve' stuff from all the neighbors. Laundry off the clothes line, kids toys, he even brought home a basketball some how. It was a small town and everybody knew and loved the dog and would just stop by his house when they couldn't find something.

I had a standard poodle that was extremely smart. She was not allowed to beg at the table but was getting mixed signals because 'some kid' was feeding her stuff under the table that he didn't want to eat. So when not allowed under the table or next to the table to beg she would sit at juuuuust the right distance from the table and breath REALLY loud , like snoring . It was hilarious.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister used to sneak peas under the table to the cats, because she hated them. One cat would always jump on the kitchen counter, and my mother had a bugle she would blow at him to make him get down. He was a tabby with a striped tail. One time she saw a striped tail out of the corner of her eye, so grabbed the bugle and blew. It turned out to be a raccoon! This was in the middle of San Francisco, near the park.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some friends of mine had a dog, Alfie, who was utterly fascinated with bobby pins (a specific kind of hairpin). If you would put one on the floor, he would just sit there and stare at it for quite awhile.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast