Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cute animal stories

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is interesting what a profound influence a non-human creature can have in our lives. Here is a kind of "eulogy" I wrote after a member of the family died. "Cute" isn't quite the right description of Roscoe, but, well....

Thoughts on Vitality and Mortality, Occasioned by a Pet’s Passing

…Then we bore our penultimate cat—Samantha remains—to his appointed hole in the warm
    and receiving earth.

As our small cortege passed the driveway, en route to Roscoe’s rhododendron-shaded repose,
    wheeling in the other direction was the recycling truck. It was pick-up day in our neighborhood.
    Emblazoned on the truck, yellow-on-green, were the instructions, or hopes: “RECYCLE
    REUSE RENEW”. Yes, I thought, that is, in some way, the fate of us all—indeed, the transititory
    fate of all matter.

So, a living thing is just a collection of molecules? A collection, certainly, but “just…”? To raise
    a point that Erwin Schrödinger himself, with his musings about the nature of life—not to mention
    that famous cat of his own—would surely appreciate, it is all about the organization of
    those molecules: Most collectives do not make life; a few, turbulent with just the right amount
    and kind of energy, do, gloriously and riotously.

Roscoe, that great, riotous orange tabby and no foaming quantum brute, will purr among us
    no more, nor warm our laps nor sleep at our feet nor welcome our many returns. His chemistry
    is, now, forever altered, now to be part of a much greater chain, or pageant, of life.
    We laid his bodily molecules, then, shrouded with his favorite wool blanket, into the shallow
    yet abysmal pit. We gave him to the clay and its ecosystem, and we commended him to a profound
    and very topical eternity.

Not that he, lately incarnated as a family pet, would be forgotten, of course. There are stories…:
    Roscoe was the litter’s largest, gangliest, and klutziest. There was the time when he
    hopped onto the toilet, not realizing that the lid was not down…and the time he attempted to
    leap past a client at an open window, catching the luckless fellow’s large coffee in the
    process…or the time he tried to enter though that same window as I was working late one
    night, not noticing that, this time, the window was closed, and all I noticed was the thud and
    the scrape of claws against glass as a wild, confused feline face disappeared toward the sidewalk
    below…or the time that he attempted to leap onto the telephone stand, from where there is a
    commanding view of the kitchen, but, falling short, instead landed on the water dish, sending
    its contents spraying into the far reaches of the room, or the time that he, running full-tilt
    toward the downward steps into the hall, was ambushed from a side door by his brother; startled,
    he instead launched himself mightily, crashing like Evel Knievel, against the wall on the
    far side….

Clumsy, and with a heart of gold—for his family. For catly challengers, he was, typically and
    unapologetically, a beast of turf. (Francis Bacon talked of “tribal idols”, in discussing constraints
    to human mental processing. Roscoe’s idols were, unquestionably and unquestioningly,
    of the Tribe of Cat.) As late as May of his last full year, his eighteenth, Roscoe attempted to
    deal with an interloper, driving his ancient frame from its (by that time) nearly useless hips to
    galumph and shuffle purposefully, and not-quite futilely, across the back yard in emotionally
    hot, though physically tepid pursuit. Roscoe’s always-imperfect symmetry may have finally
    failed him though, as ever, he burned very bright. But now, if the metaphor of Cat Heaven can
    be reified, he is once again the large, powerful animal of his youth, and has surely, satisfyingly,
    marked his new territory. That evening, before and in the opposite direction from sunset, a
    brilliant orange celestial glow came upon us, of a kind I had never before seen. It only lasted a
    few minutes; yet the three of us who remained, Stephen, Eileen, and I (Amy had returned to
    Olympia), marveled at it. Undoubtedly, there is a prosaic meteorological explanation. Howbeit,
    it is consoling to think of it as a sign of safe arrival: Perhaps God is presently, as it were,
    scratching him behind his oversized ears.

But we can, as well, note the symbolism without toting the metaphysical baggage. Recycle,
    reuse, renew. For our family this has been a year of endings, of death. For me personally, this
    includes the untimely demise of the main part of my career: assassinated and buried, even
    though rigor mortis has not yet, and may never, set in. We, like Persephone, are creatures of
    the seasons—of, that is to say, renewal: All rivers run to the sea, it is so. But the sun will again
    rise, and again, and, through all its risings, upon joyous new flows from perpetual headwaters.

Life, then, not only recognizes life, but, drawing from the wellsprings of the universe, organizes
    itself, and reorganizes itself, as well. It is thus beautiful, because it is, and, more, because we
    make it so.

A. G. Swanson
    29 July, 2006

Roscoe.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aww.... Al, that is a wonderful tribute to your old pal, Roscoe, who, to me, looks cute in the picture. I've always liked orange cats and never been blessed with one, yet.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a better tribute than I'll get. What a great cat. My mom has an orange cat that was feral at her house. It attacks people out of the blue. I named it 'Killer' . We don't know if its a he or a she, no one wants loose a hand trying to find out.
    And even Killer will be missed some day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by me2 View Post
    Thats a better tribute than I'll get. What a great cat. My mom has an orange cat that was feral at her house. It attacks people out of the blue. I named it 'Killer' . We don't know if its a he or a she, no one wants loose a hand trying to find out.
    And even Killer will be missed some day.
    I've heard, Kirk, that Orange tabbies are almost invariably male--like 95 percent of the time.

We also had a "killer" cat. He was very emotional, anyway. Whenever we were gone overnight, we knew we would be in for it when we returned. Cory would wait until we were asleep (though we learned feign sleep until he go it out of his system), then attack. After he was swatted off the bed, he would come back for a second round. After that, he would be pacified. But we still had to be careful when guests were around. One visitor laughs to this day, remembering when that cat hopped on his lap. As he remembers it, we yelled in unison, "DON'T MOVE"! That animal was, all his life, like Dr. House, MD: a curmudgeonly pussycat.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha, thanks Al. I'll pass the information on to my 85 year old mom. I'm thinking that 95 percent odds is good enough to give up on verification. Killer is now a 'he'. Make it so. No one will argue.
    'House' would be a good alternate name for 'Killer' but my mom might not get it the way we do. So 'Killer' it is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard the same thing about orange cats, and I think it's probably true.... all of them I've known have been male, except for one, and her name is Alice.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I've heard the same thing about orange cats, and I think it's probably true.... all of them I've known have been male, except for one, and her name is Alice.
    "Cheshire Alice"?

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Whenever we were gone overnight, we knew we would be in for it when we returned.

Al
    Some friends of mine had a Dalmation and he did not like being left for more than a couple of hours. One day they had been out shopping which had taken longer than they had planned, they got back home to discover that William had gone into their bedroom, "killed and disembowled" their feather duvet. Not content with that he had then dragged the dead duvet into every room in their bungalow, it took them hours vacuuming up the feathers (think on it, switch on the vacuum and the exhaust air puts the feathers up into the air).

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    "Cheshire Alice"?

Al
    I don't know if Alice was named after that Alice, but it is possible. But she isn't really a Cheshire Cat type, doesn't sit around grinning. She's a sweet and demure little thing, but rugged, spends a lot of time out in nature, and friendly to me though I rarely see her. She's getting up there in years, as they all do, but last I heard, was doing well.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Some friends of mine had a Dalmation and he did not like being left for more than a couple of hours. One day they had been out shopping which had taken longer than they had planned, they got back home to discover that William had gone into their bedroom, "killed and disembowled" their feather duvet. Not content with that he had then dragged the dead duvet into every room in their bungalow, it took them hours vacuuming up the feathers (think on it, switch on the vacuum and the exhaust air puts the feathers up into the air).

Jim
    So there is a reason, Jim, that they are called Damnations....

Al

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast