User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tracheal Stenosis

Doug Guest

Ah, Jolanta! Our inside person! Your perspective on how the medical professionals deal with AI is interesting, and reflects on how most on the forum have experienced doctor's care.

I was fortunate that the Physician's Assistant (!) who took care of me the first five days recognized that the non-response to heavy doses of antibiotics and the infiltrates in my lungs suggested AI, and he turned me over to a doctor (pulmonologist) who ran the tests and biopsies that he correctly diagnosed as severe WG. From the start, this pulmonologist was in consultation with the rheumatologists and nephrologists at the University Hospital-Denver who ultimately got my carcass, then brought me back to life.

Maybe we need to construct a manifesto, outlining the patient's point of view for AI patients, then send it out to teaching colleges pumping out tomorrow's doctors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug with the starting of offices using computers and computerized data maybe a time will come when finaly all the symptoms will be taken, checked on a screen and voila - here come the diagnsis. All the relevent historical medication data, diagnosis and hospitalization will be right there. One day and there you have it folks, your quick and painless diagnosis.
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

Jolanta, I'm starting to see more and more IT services in use in even small American hospitals. The regional hospitals here have started to standardize their IT systems so medical records are more easily accessed for out-of-town, even in-town patients (within the hospitals' service areas, of course). It seems that was one of the Obama administration's objectives, too. How are Australia, UK, and Canada doing on some sort of nationalized database of patient histories? Even the small scale changes where I live means less time filling out duplicate histories every place you check in.
    Last edited by Doug; 09-19-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada is somwhat backwards still, we have the IT but with our privacy act it is complicated. if you are in the same health region, yes you can access patient info but if you go to next region, no luck, you must take the if with you, oh they will electronically transfer but still it takes time
    Jolanta

Doug Guest

I'm not sure what privacy controls are on the records, but there are considerables efforts taken these days to protect patient privacy. I noticed in our local hospital that the white board where they have patient assignments and dietary restrictions noted, they use only patient's initials instead of full names now.

As far back as when I was taken to the hospital before they knew what I had (December 2003), I was asked several questions at the emergency room. I was on heavy oxygen, my heart was banging out over 200 beats per minutes, my kidneys were trying to shut down, and I managed to tell them I didn't want my name in the paper or any visitors. At that point, they wouldn't have allowed me any anyway! I managed to clamp information so tight on my admission to the hospital that they wouldn't even tell my family (!) if I was there.

A friend with significant IT skills broke into the hospital system and located my room number and room telephone number for my family, or they'd never have heard about me. Considering the state they'd seen me in being carried out to the ambulance, they had reasonable concerns if I was even alive (!), so this stealthy fix on my room telephone number in particular proved most helpful. Later, I understood what I needed to do to assure the right people had access to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doug-- are you a covert CIA operative? Or just shy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the name's bond....doug bond.
    john

Doug Guest

No, I wasn't the operative, it was my friend the Masked IT Bat-venger! I know her identity because of characteriastic rings she wears on all individual sections of her fingers (sort of a silver and precious gems brass knuckles....), but I pretend I can't figure out who she is because that's the way of comic book characters (think Clark Kent's glasses).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234