Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Barn Owl Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    The ghastly chicks broke the camera! LOL I always thought that was just a joke.
    It was broken this morning, too. I was worried because Mama was gone so long last night, and then the camera broke. I hope she is OK. Maybe her ghastly chicks scared her off!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, she was still gone when I went to bed last night. That seems odd. The babies were looking pretty hungry, sitting there with their beaks open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And Dad should be around somewhere, too, with food to bring in....
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The largest owl baby is looking significantly less ghastly today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny how Mom is still trying to sit on all of them. I can definitely see four right now and wonder if there is still a puny, featherless one hiding in there somewhere.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, she just will not get out of that far left corner where I saw the tiny one.

Meanwhile, the eagle babies have developed the habit of sitting right at the edge of the nest and scaring me half to death all day. (One of them was even resting his head on the edge, looking over!) The eagles all look hot today-- parents and babies are holding their wings out and panting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just saw the mama eagle do something odd. She spread her wings all the way and bent her head back, then started making clucking sounds and a series of chirps that sounded exactly like a dolphin. Made me think of the old show "Flipper." LOL

And just now one of the eagle babies did a big poop. It leaned all the way forward with its butt in the air and then "zoing!" shot it out horizontally, out beyond the nest! Sure glad my cockatiel doesn't poop like that!
    Last edited by Sangye; 04-25-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well both parents were in the nest and doing the odd chirping thing. I wonder if they were chasing away a predator.

Right now the baby eagles are eating a fish on their own. As they approached it, the mother made a big point of going to the other side of the nest, as if to say "Time for you kids to learn how to make your own dinner!" They stared at it for a bit and then started taking bites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the eaglets all at the edge of the nest, too, and figured it must be a hot day and that's why they weren't huddling together.

I've also been watching the Red Tailed Hawks at Cornell Labs and apparently two babies have hatched! Here is the link for that again:
    Red-tailed Hawk Nest - live streaming video powered by Livestream . I haven't got a good look at the chicks yet. There is a good chat alongside the video keeping us up to date, and they say the 3rd egg has "pipped". The mama is very beautiful. Right now they are showing the surrounding neighborhood but usually it's just a close up of the nest.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a link showing some photos of the hawk nest including a couple glimpses of the new chicks! https://plus.google.com/photos/10554...35156166500929
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast