User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 126

Thread: Barn Owl Update

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Yeah, I caught the close-ups just before I had to leave for work. Missed the dead baby bird.... Yes, the eaglets are looking more eagle-y, getting some interesting markings, not quite as ugly as the owlets, though. But the owlets' white fuzz is pretty appealing despite their faces!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    10,836
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Oh yeah, I just got a look at the baby owls. Whew. Those are some ugly little birds!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Oh yeah, I just got a look at the baby owls. Whew. Those are some ugly little birds!
    I'm glad you finally got to see them. Ugly ducklings turn into swans!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest (USA)
    Posts
    1,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    I'm glad you finally got to see them. Ugly ducklings turn into swans!
    Yes, Anne, but these are neither. From the Mama Owl's point of view, they are beautiful babies--if a nuisance to feed....

    Al

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Yes, Anne, but these are neither. From the Mama Owl's point of view, they are beautiful babies--if a nuisance to feed....

    Al
    It was a metaphor (I think). I don't think baby swans are actually called ducklings, though I can't think what they are called. I actually think the baby owls are quite fascinating in appearance. It's interesting that something that looks like that will eventually become an adult barn owl. I'm sure Mama would be appalled to think that I think she is so much more beautiful than her children.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest (USA)
    Posts
    1,851
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    It was a metaphor (I think). I don't think baby swans are actually called ducklings, though I can't think what they are called. I actually think the baby owls are quite fascinating in appearance. It's interesting that something that looks like that will eventually become an adult barn owl. I'm sure Mama would be appalled to think that I think she is so much more beautiful than her children.
    Juvenile swans are called cygnets, if I remember correctly, Anne. Don't know much about avian aesthetics, but I am guessing that Mama owls don't give a hoot one way or another how you and I feel about their babies...!

    Al

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Al View Post
    Juvenile swans are called cygnets, if I remember correctly, Anne. Don't know much about avian aesthetics, but I am guessing that Mama owls don't give a hoot one way or another how you and I feel about their babies...!

    Al
    "Cygnets" entered my mind, but I wasn't sure it might not be too big a word for a baby creature.... however, I think you are right. As for Mama Owl, I might add that she wouldn't think WE were pretty at all (if indeed we are). I think the main point of my comments was that we are lucky enough to get to watch those funny-looking little fluffballs develop into something as beautiful and grand as the parent owls. Although I realize they will be kicked out of the nest before they reach full adulthood.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    If anyone is on right now, check out the owls! Mama is gone from the nest, and you can see their range of development from oldest to youngest. Sadly, I think there are only 4 left out of the original 6. The biggest one is actually starting to look pretty.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    10,836
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Omigosh, just looked. Both parents are out of the nest and there is one ghastly face looking right at the camera. LOL

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Olympia, Washington
    Posts
    6,896
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Omigosh, just looked. Both parents are out of the nest and there is one ghastly face looking right at the camera. LOL
    Mama's been out of the nest a long time! Right now, the chicks are mostly snoozing, and any faces showing are looking their most ghoulish. It was interesting earlier when they were all standing up.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •