Thread: Barn Owl Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    Since we are talking about predators and prey, here's a pretty good video I
    I have seen this one several times before but it still amazes me. Those birds are amazing fish catchers. The scenery in that area is also spectacular.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see that the owlets are back on, in all their ghastly glory! I see the beginnings of tail feathers, which I also noticed, more prominently, in the baby eagles.
    I check the baby diamond dove every day and it seems as if it grows another feather or two every day but is still half bare with no feathers in much of its body. The mamma duck is always sitting on her nest but sometimes she is in a different position so she must rotate the eggs or take a short break once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    I have seen this one several times before but it still amazes me. Those birds are amazing fish catchers. The scenery in that area is also spectacular.
    Do you happen to know where this video was taken? I thought it could be the Pacific Northwest, but I'm sure there are other places it could be.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you happen to know where this video was taken? I thought it could be the Pacific Northwest, but I'm sure there are other places it could be.
    From the mountains and snow and fish caught in the video i would guess Alaska or near by bordering Canada. Be a great place for camping and fishing trip, wouldn't it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drz View Post
    From the mountains and snow and fish caught in the video i would guess Alaska or near by bordering Canada. Be a great place for camping and fishing trip, wouldn't it?
    The flounder caught by the osprey reminded me of the San Juan Islands in far northern Washington state, because my dad once did research on flounders at the UW marine labs there. Those could be the Olympic Mountains. The San Juans are right by Vancouver Island, BC. But your guess is as good as mine!
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The flounder caught by the osprey reminded me of the San Juan Islands in far northern Washington state, because my dad once did research on flounders at the UW marine labs there. Those could be the Olympic Mountains. The San Juans are right by Vancouver Island, BC. But your guess is as good as mine!
    There are plenty of ospreys in the islands on both the US and the Canadian sides. Hard to tell where the filming was, but I noticed it was from BBC. Good photography in any case. I loved watching the osprey shake the water off, doggie-style, while still holding onto the fish.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good view of the heron chicks right now.... boy, are they cute! If you need to search, they are at Cornell Lab.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just checked in with the barn owls. They've sure grown up a lot. The eldest is looking much more like an adult-- less ghastly, unless you look closely!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sangye View Post
    Just checked in with the barn owls. They've sure grown up a lot. The eldest is looking much more like an adult-- less ghastly, unless you look closely!
    They've looked pretty ghastly to me, lately, but I guess it does depend on the angle, the lighting, etc. Haven't checked on them since this morning.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL They're still ghastly. It isn't helped by the fact that I have that sort of mythological/ primal fear of owls. Not a real big fear, just a discomfort looking at them for too long. Like if I stare at the picture of the adult barn owl on the page I'm gonna have nightmares. And I don't like the weird way the barn owl babies move-- that bobbing and weaving thing gives me the creeps.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast