Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was put on MTX today

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Was put on MTX today

I went and saw one of my reumys today and he is trying me out on 3-2.5mg of MTX a week and 2- 400mcg of folic acid every day still on the 10 mg of pred. He said if I can handle this ,he wants to try to get me of preds. YEA!!!! I just hope I don't have any problems with this since its seems every thing they try I have something happen. The thing I don't like is that he only wants me to have bloodwork every 2 months and see me in 3 months. I think I should be monitored more than that at first or is that usual and its just my anxiety kicking in. My pharmacist did tell me it is not good to take prilesec with this drug because it could elevate the levels of MTX in your system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deb, I forget, how long have you been on treatment so far? What meds were you on before mtx?

I would be going for regular labs at least once a month and see my doc after lab results are in the next day or afternoon. 3 months sounds like he does not know Wegs.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Debra, I am on 20mg of MTX a week (and 70mg of Folic Acid three days after taking the MTX), but I have to have a blood test, just for the MTX, every two weeks. MTX can build up and cause problems with the liver, even to the point of damaging it, this was explained to me by my rheumy, my GP and by the pharmacist. My GP's surgery carry out the vampire bit and keep a record of the results. As it only takes a few minutes to take the blood sample I do not have to make an appointment, I forgot which week it was and missed going, on the Friday afternoon I was contacted on my mobile to get down there asap. They really had a go at me about nearly missing the blood test, so it would seem to be pretty importnat to be checked regularly.

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    Deb, I forget, how long have you been on treatment so far? What meds were you on before mtx?

I would be going for regular labs at least once a month and see my doc after lab results are in the next day or afternoon. 3 months sounds like he does not know Wegs.
    I started treament Sept. 2010 and was put on 150mg CTX,50mg pred. and bactrim 3 times a week.I went into remission in March last year and was taken off everything, then it came back and that when they tried the RTX infusion which I could only have one of since I had bad side effects, so then it was Imuran 100mg,then 50mg and I couldn't handle that so they just have kept me on 10 mg of preds for the last for the last 5 months. On my last scan that I just had 2 weeks ago, I have 2 nodules in my lung and they have shrunk to have there size since the scan prior.
    Thats what I was thinking about my bloodwork,with my history of not being able to tolerate these drugs that he should check me more closely.And I was checking out this drug on different sites lasts nite and came across a forum of people that suffer from RA and I was reading how it really messed up their stomach and had to have injections instead.And since my stomach is so messed up now I am really scared about taking this, to the point that I really can not bring myself to do it today. I go see my pulmanary dr. tommorrow and will talk to him. I also have copd and have had a terrible time breathing lately,but he'll probably just go along with what the reumy said.
    Sorry for rambling on so much but I quess I read to much and then I start thinking the worst but I am concerned he doesn't want to see me for 3 months after starting a new med. especially how screwed up my stomach is now. Bet your sorry u asked !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been on MTX for a couple weeks now, actually more like 2 months. I have a similar timeline, diagnosed in late 2010, I was on CTX for about a year. I'm also on a similar schedule...blood every 6 weeks, and I see my Rheumy every 3 months unless something comes up, in which case I can email or call him anytime.

I have found that my stomach is a little more sensitive, but if I don't eat acidic or sugary foods, I feel OK.

If you're seeing your pulmonary tomorrow, I would ask about MTX and your lungs. My Rheumy was concerned that my nodules were completely healed before starting MTX because it can irritate the lungs. My Pulmy diagnosed them as completely healed with minimal scaring. My Rheumy still didn't want me on MTX, but after some blood tests showed I couldn't take Immuran, it was the only other option.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sorry I asked at all.

Some more questions:

When was the previous CT scan done of your chest prior to the one you had 2 weeks ago?

Do you take omeprazole or another acid blocker for your stomach?

COPD? Who dx with that? I have a feeling that it could be Wegs damage. Do you have to take bronchio dilaters? Have you ever smoked?
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Debra, I am on 20mg of MTX a week (and 70mg of Folic Acid three days after taking the MTX), but I have to have a blood test, just for the MTX, every two weeks. MTX can build up and cause problems with the liver, even to the point of damaging it, this was explained to me by my rheumy, my GP and by the pharmacist. My GP's surgery carry out the vampire bit and keep a record of the results. As it only takes a few minutes to take the blood sample I do not have to make an appointment, I forgot which week it was and missed going, on the Friday afternoon I was contacted on my mobile to get down there asap. They really had a go at me about nearly missing the blood test, so it would seem to be pretty importnat to be checked regularly.

Jim
    I wish I had the Drs. u have. They seem to be really watching out for u. You are taking alot more than I will be ( I'm only going to be taking 7.5 mg a week and 2 folic acid pills every day ) Have u ever had any problems with it? If so u probably shouldn't tell me they will get me even more worried !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    I'm not sorry I asked at all.

Some more questions:

When was the previous CT scan done of your chest prior to the one you had 2 weeks ago?

Do you take omeprazole or another acid blocker for your stomach?

COPD? Who dx with that? I have a feeling that it could be Wegs damage. Do you have to take bronchio dilaters? Have you ever smoked?
    My previous scan was done 2 months ago, so I don't know if the pred. alone caused the nodules to shrink or if the other stuff was still in my system.
    I take prilesec for my stomach but the pharmistist pointed out yesterday that the 2 drugs don't mix well. My reumy didn't say anything about it. So when I start taking the MTX, I'm gonna lay off taking the prilesec for awhile.
    The COPD was told to be by my pulmonary dr. and the radiologist that read the scans also mentioned it. I smoked for years but quit the day I had my partial lobectomy. I do have inhalers but never use them ( not because I'm scared to !!! ) but I don't want to become dependent on them.I carry one in my purse in case things got really bad but knock on wood never used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NicShaf View Post
    I've been on MTX for a couple weeks now, actually more like 2 months. I have a similar timeline, diagnosed in late 2010, I was on CTX for about a year. I'm also on a similar schedule...blood every 6 weeks, and I see my Rheumy every 3 months unless something comes up, in which case I can email or call him anytime.

I have found that my stomach is a little more sensitive, but if I don't eat acidic or sugary foods, I feel OK.

If you're seeing your pulmonary tomorrow, I would ask about MTX and your lungs. My Rheumy was concerned that my nodules were completely healed before starting MTX because it can irritate the lungs. My Pulmy diagnosed them as completely healed with minimal scaring. My Rheumy still didn't want me on MTX, but after some blood tests showed I couldn't take Immuran, it was the only other option.
    Hey Nicole, I'm glad your still doing so well and that yr lungs had no damage. My reumy saw the report of my scan that showed I had nodules and copd and still wants me on it and when I told him I wanted a blood test to see if I would have a reaction to Imuran ( because another dr. told me I should...I didn't tell him that though ) he said there was no need for it. I also told him about this forum and how I get alot of info from it....he didn't seem to happy about it at all. Ones of biggest problems I am having right now is that I am on state Medicaid and alot of drs. don't take it, in Sept. I will be on straight Medicare so maybe I can find a better dr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on 25 mg of MTX a week, and take folic acid and 40 mg of omeprazole daily. I get labs done every 4 weeks and see my Rheumy every 6 weeks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast