Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Routine Bactrim ( Septra) use in prevention of flares

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Routine Bactrim ( Septra) use in prevention of flares

Does anyone have any information about the use of routine Septra in the prevention of flares? There seems to be some link between carriers of Staph aureus (the bug that causes MRSA) and Wegener's disease flares. But I don't know anymore than that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bajarel View Post
    Does anyone have any information about the use of routine Septra in the prevention of flares? There seems to be some link between carriers of Staph aureus (the bug that causes MRSA) and Wegener's disease flares. But I don't know anymore than that.
    Bactrim is often used for protection when your immune system is compromised. Some of us can't take it due to sulfa allergies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bajarel View Post
    My daughter spent a year on flagyl (metronidazole) as an anti-inflammatory measure to address Crohn's disease. My understanding was that it was not used to prevent infection for those immunocompromised, it was used at a low dose to reduce general inflammation. Antibiotics have been used at low doses for some years to reduce general inflammation for those with chronic autoimmune conditions, as well as cardiovascular disease and periodontal disease (my area of specialty).

Most on this site are familiar with Bactrum use to prevent bacterial lung infection prophylactically, but it can possibly have an anti-inflammatory benefit as well.

I am ever interested in this topic, so please let us know of any information you might be privy to that would discuss this in depth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was put back on Bactrim a couple of weeks ago due to a possible infection. Not sure where though, but most likely the lungs. My CRP and ESR shot up so we upped the pred to 30 as well.

Now, the last few days I have felt like I have a flu or something like that. I go for labs and see the doc on Tuesday so hopefully I will find out more then.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Phil, hope you feel better soon. Feeling like you have the flu can mean WG flare. Hopefully its not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Phil, you have really had the 'go' this past year. I hope all goes well, and that it is NOT in the lungs!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys.

I'm pretty sure I'm not flaring. No other Wegs type symptoms and all blood work is looking good.

Actually it has been a rough ride for the past 3 years. I think the M. Abscessus started back in 2009.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was first hospitalized, they were giving me IV bactrim for whatever they thought I had, and I started feeling better. I asked my Rheumy about it a couple months later, he said that it does treat some of the symptoms, or at least lessens them a bit, but it isn't enough of a treatment for remission. I remember my nose not feeling as stuffy as it had for months before my diagnosis...but bactrim and pred alone would not have healed the nodules in my lungs...unfortunately

Feel better soon, Phil!
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been taking Bactrim 3 times a week since my diagnosis in April 09. I've been told it is both to prevent new sinus infections and some bacteria that could settle in the lungs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if there's been any research done on Bactrim and Wegs--easy enough to check on PubMed. But it is used by many rheumies to keep Wegs at bay. It didn't help me at all.

I suspect it helps those whose Wegs is the result of infection. I'm fairly certain mine is due to toxins, so an antibiotic wouldn't help.

I would love to see a study comparing Weggies who had an infection prior to developing Wegs and those who did not. Just reading our posts I can usually tell whose case seems to be infection-based and whose isn't.

(Note to newer folks: No one knows what really causes Wegs. The most common hypotheses are infection or toxins.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast