Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: weight gain :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Amy,
    This subject has been raised before, and for good reason. It is one of the harder parts of Pred side effects to deal with. I put on about 50lbs in the first 7-8 months on Pred, it kind of stayed there after that.
    I don't know if there is any good way to cope with it, I've had a tough time. I bought some new clothes for work that fit comfortably and I felt good in, and that has helped me day to day. Avoiding Sugar and Salt as much as you can is a good way to help fight the weight gain a little...or so I've read; I didn't have enough self control in that department all the time, especially in that hormonal time of the month
    I hope you can find something that makes you feel better.
    Nicole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mishb View Post
    This is so true, and Easter is coming up.
    Chocolate is a big downfall for my whole family even though I try to limit myself to a couple of squares a day, sometimes none at all........but then there are also chocolate biscuits (you need to be congratulated Rita)

MMMmmmmmm Chocolate

Jim, I'm thinking that this so called Island should be avoided.
    Sanitation may not be very good and with all that fruit and vegies and no cheese to block one up.............let's just say, I will stay where I am...Thankyou.
    We just can't afford to take that risk with our poor immune system.
    Michelle, you have raised a very good reason for staying home and just getting on with eating chocolate and the other good things in life. I do have one question though, does Easter Island (somewehre in the Pacific Ocean if I remember my school geography lessons) have lots of Easter Eggs ...... is that where they grow?

Jim
    You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. Kahil Gibran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pberggren1 View Post
    So too much potassium is not good for the kidneys?
    Sounds like I can't win for losing...I love to eat kiwi so if there's something wrong with those I don't even want to know !!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Debra C View Post
    Sounds like I can't win for losing...I love to eat kiwi so if there's something wrong with those I don't even want to know !!!!
    Debra--Kiwi fruit is indeed fairly high in potassium, but you wouldn't generally eat a large amount (would you?). Most fruits are potassium heavy, but some, like bananas and oranges, are more so than others. A few that are lower are pineapple, blueberries, and cranberries. Apples, pears, and strawberries are in the middle. Potatoes, tomatoes, and sweet potatoes are quite high. I keep their intake down.

Phil: kidneys have to process all the electrolytes,-- sodium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorus. If the poor things are laboring, it is best to not pile it on. This is particularly important for dialysis patients.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bummer for me is that I used to love lemon in my water, tea, substitute for butter on potatoes and dressing on salads, until I one day had an severe allergic reaction and anaphalactic shock.

Debra- I'm allergic to kiwi. Double bummer.

The lemon was a huge part of a past weight loss diet and I really miss them. I have put on 20 lbs since October and I'm beside myself. This is really hard as I've always struggled with my weight. None of my clothes fit properly and I honestly hate walking by mirrors. I'm not really eating more or eating badly, but not exercising. The thought of it tires me. I know that I need to and this will be the key. I just need to do it.

I know getting healthy is the most important thing, but not I feel depressed about my weight.
    "Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died." - Erma Bombeck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HopeinTN View Post
    Bummer for me is that I used to love lemon in my water, tea, substitute for butter on potatoes and dressing on salads, until I one day had an severe allergic reaction and anaphalactic shock....
    This is odd, Katrina. I've never heard of this serious an allergic reaction to lemons--or any allergic reacting to kiwi. Pineapple is common, though; are you also allergic to pineapple? Just goes to show you that the immune system is complicated.

Al

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know someone on here that is allergic to oranges.
    Phil Berggren, dx 2003

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So those of us without current or past kidney involvement needn't worry too much about potassium? Isn't it good for us in some ways? I commonly eat about a banana a day. I used to drink Emergen-C, which has quite a bit of potassium in it, but stopped when dx'ed with Wegs. I didn't know about all those other fruits containing it. I eat a fair number of oranges and go through phases with potatoes. I saw some dried kiwi slices for sale the other day and might give them a try.
    Anne, dx'ed April 2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annekat View Post
    So those of us without current or past kidney involvement needn't worry too much about potassium? Isn't it good for us in some ways? I commonly eat about a banana a day. I used to drink Emergen-C, which has quite a bit of potassium in it, but stopped when dx'ed with Wegs. I didn't know about all those other fruits containing it. I eat a fair number of oranges and go through phases with potatoes. I saw some dried kiwi slices for sale the other day and might give them a try.
    I have stage three kidney damage now after partial recovery from Wegs attack on kidneys and was told to avoid taking any extra supplements with high levels of things like potassium, phosphorous, and pain meds that put heavy load on the kidneys etc. but otherwise to eat a normal balanced diet which I take to mean not to eat an excessive amount of any one food. They did not forbid any specific food or advise any increases in anything except to drink lots of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can no longer eat oranges or use lemon in water or on fish etc as anything citrus sends my inflammation levels skyhigh.....to the point of feeling like my hands have been slammed in a car door or my knees and ankles crushed in a can crusher.......very bad.
    I guess that kind of makes me allergic to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryhill View Post
    Michelle, you have raised a very good reason for staying home and just getting on with eating chocolate and the other good things in life. I do have one question though, does Easter Island (somewehre in the Pacific Ocean if I remember my school geography lessons) have lots of Easter Eggs ...... is that where they grow?

Jim
    Jim, my husband said that Easter Island is like the Island from the series LOST or like the Bermuda Triangle........it only appears at that one special time of the year and then is not seen again by the naked eye until the next year, so therefore, this must be where the eggs come from.
    Keep Smiling
    Michelle

Live your life in a way that you wouldn't be ashamed to sell the family parrot to the town gossip - WILL ROGERS

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast